Ontario confirms two new positive cases of COVID-19

Mar 9 2020, 6:06 am

Ontario confirmed two additional positive new cases of coronavirus on Sunday afternoon, bringing the total number of cases in the province to 31.

The province said one case was a female in her 60s who returned from France on March 2, and presented herself to Scarborough Health Network – General Site’s emergency department in Toronto, on March 7.

The other case was a male in his 60s who returned from Washington, DC, on March 3, and presented himself to North York General Hospital’s emergency department on March 7.

Both patients were monitored and accessed by the respective hospitals and are both currently in self-isolation.

Toronto Public Health is following up with the patients and ensuring that any person they’re in contact with is also monitored.

“At this time, the virus is not circulating locally. However, given the global circumstances, Ontario is actively working with city and health partners to plan for the potential of local spread,” Dr. David Williams, Chief Medical Officer of Health said in statement. “The province continues to carefully monitor this situation and encourage residents to stay informed by regularly reviewing credible information sources.”

Earlier on Sunday, another confirmed case was announced by the province. The patient is a woman in her 40s who returned from Colorado on March 2. She went to the emergency department at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto where she was tested and assessed before being sent home to self-isolate.

Of the 31 total cases in the province, four are all resolved, with each of those patients having two consecutive negative tests at least 24 hours apart.