On Sunday, January 7, transferring from GO Transit or up to the TTC got a little cheaper for commuters.
Both transit agencies now offer discounted fares by $1.50 for adult PRESTO users and $0.55 for students and seniors when transferring between GO or UP and the TTC.
According to the province, regular commuters who use PRESTO to transfer between GO Transit and the TTC will save about $720 per year.
But how does it work?
Good news for PRESTO users! New discounts when transferring between TTC & GO Transit/UP Express starting Jan. 7. See https://t.co/7a491C2net.
— GO Transit (@GOtransit) January 5, 2018
You need to use a PRESTO card
The discount is applied automatically as you travel, and all you’ll need to do is tap your card when transferring between transit systems.
Not all PRESTO users will get the discount
This discount is available exclusively for PRESTO users who pay as they go with their card balance. The discount is not available if you use cash, paper tickets, tokens, a Metropass or a monthly pass on your PRESTO card. Adults, post-secondary students, seniors are eligible for this discount.
Travelling between TTC and GO
According to PRESTO, here’s how the discount works travelling from TTC to your final destination on GO Transit:
- Tap on to TTC and the full regular fare will be deducted from your PRESTO card
- When you transfer and tap on GO, your fare will be discounted by $1.50 if you’re an adult and $0.55 if you’re a student or senior.
- If you don’t have a default GO trip set on your card, be sure to tap off of GO so you’ll get the discount when you tap off.
- Once you tap on TTC you have two hours to begin your trip on GO to get the discount.
From GO Transit to your final destination on TTC:
- Tap on to GO and your fare will be deducted from your PRESTO card.
- When you tap on TTC, you’ll pay $1.50 whether you’re an adult, student or senior.
- If you don’t have a default GO trip set on your card, be sure to tap off of GO at the end of your trip so you’ll get the discount when you tap on TTC.
- Once you tap on GO you have three hours to begin your TTC trip to get the discount.
The same is applicable to UP transit journeys from the TTC, or to the TTC.
You can check how much your fare will be
There’s a new way to plan your trips between the two systems. You can now use Triplinx to help you plan your route and find out how much exactly how much your fare will be.