As Toronto City Council prepares to discuss the subway upload to Doug Ford’s government, the province has announced an expansion of GO Transit service in the GTHA.
On Wednesday, Jeff Yurek, Minister of Transportation, announced an expansion of GO Train service that “will offer more choices to transit users and commuters” as well as Markham, Brampton and Etobicoke residents, effective April 8.
“In everything we do, whether it’s a policy change, service increase, or program, our government puts people at the heart of our decision making,” said Yurek. “That’s exactly why our government is committed to improving the transit experience to make commutes shorter and relieve congestion so that Ontarians can spend more time doing what matters – being with their family, friends or spending time at work.”
- City council to debate Ford's provincial subway upload today
- There's a new GO train station coming to Woodbine Racetrack and Casino
The province announced new midday weekday GO Train service on the Stouffville line will be extended to three stations in Markham. Between Bramalea GO and Union Station, new weekday morning trip options will provide more options for commuters during rush hour.
According to the province, transportation improvements include:
- Five midday trips in each direction along the Stouffville GO line will serve Centennial, Markham and Mount Joy GO stations from Monday to Friday
- A new rush hour trip will leave Bramalea GO Station at 7:55 am, serving all stops before arriving at Union Station at 8:33 am
- The existing 8:33 am trip from Malton GO will now start at Bramalea GO at 8:27 am, arriving at Union Station at 9:05
In addition, the size of some trains will be increased. These changes will also take effect on April 8:
- The 8:33 am train from Malton GO (now beginning at Bramalea at 8:27 am), will increase from six to 10 coaches
- The 7:36 am train from Pickering GO to Union Station will increase from 10 to 12 coaches
- The 6:55 am train from Union Station to Pickering GO will increase from 10 to 12 coaches
- The 8:28 am train from Union Station to Mimico GO will increase from 10 to 12 coaches