Toronto residents should plan ahead, as there are several major road closures this weekend, including the Gardiner Expressway.
According to the City of Toronto, this weekend, the Gardiner Expressway will be fully closed from Highway 427 to the Don Valley Parkway for annual maintenance and improvement activities, the intersection of Richmond Street East and Church Street is fully closed for construction. There will also be closures in place for people to practise physical distancing while being physically active on Bayview Avenue and Lake Shore Boulevard East.
The City advises motorists making essential trips to use Lake Shore Boulevard West, the Queensway, Bloor Street and Evans Avenue as alternative routes during the weekend closures.
“This weekend presents a unique scenario where we balance important expressway maintenance and accelerated construction projects while following through on a commitment to provide space for people to get outside and be active while respecting physical distancing,” said Mayor John Tory. “City staff will be working to actively manage our roads as much as possible and I encourage those who are making essential trips this weekend to also plan ahead.”
Annual Gardiner Expressway Maintenance:
A full closure of the Gardiner Expressway, from the Don Valley Parkway/Carlaw Avenue to Highway 427/Queen Elizabeth Way, is expected to take place from Friday, May 29 at 11 pm, to Monday, June 1 at 5 am.According to the city, examples of maintenance work planned this weekend includes (all numbers are approximate):
- 15 lane kilometres of milling and paving
- 8,000 metres of crack repairs
- 9,000 metres of line marking
- 60 metres of guiderail repair and/or replacement overhead and ground sign inspections, replacement and maintenance
- pothole repairs
- mechanical sweeping and debris removal
- graffiti removal
- catch basin flushing and cleaning
- bridge inspections and chipping
- flushing of bridge joints
- inspection, repair and replacement of “crash attenuation systems” that help cushion and redirect vehicles from barricades and barriers
- inspection, repair and re-lamping of street lights
- hydro pole replacement and repair
- traffic camera inspection and repair
Major Road Closures for ActiveTO:
To help stop the spread of COVID-19 while allowing for residents to be outside and get exercise, vehicle access on parts of some major roads will be closed for walking, running, and biking again this Saturday and Sunday.
The following major road closures are planned this weekend from Saturday, May 30 at 6 am until Sunday, May 31 at 11 pm:
- Lake Shore Boulevard East (eastbound lanes only) from Coxwell Avenue to just south of Woodbine Avenue (Kew Beach Avenue)
- Bayview Avenue from Mill Street to Rosedale Valley Road, and River Street from Gerrard Street East to Bayview Avenue
As previously announced, construction at the intersection of Richmond Street and Church Street has been accelerated and will remain fully closed to all vehicle traffic as crews replace TTC streetcar tracks.