Ford asks Toronto residents not to travel to York Region as their lockdown lifts

Feb 19 2021, 11:55 am

Premier Doug Ford told residents in Toronto and Peel Region not to travel to York Region as their lockdown orders lift on Monday.

During the press conference on Friday, Ford said, “We’re asking people please. . . Toronto and Peel and North Bay region please just stay at home, I know it’s difficult. Just go out when you have to.”

“We can’t put up roadblocks, and the rest, it’s just not feasible. We’re relying on the people of Ontario to follow the protocols.”

Earlier on Friday, the province extended the Stay at Home orders for Toronto, Peel, and North Bay Parry Sound until March 9 to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 variants of concern.

Health Minister Christine Elliott also echoed the premier’s remarks saying it’s “really important for people to stay home as much as possible. . . something that has been ongoing for some time until we get a vast number of people vaccinated.”

Elliott noted that as the province gradually transitions back to the framework, it’s not a reopening and not “everything is back to normal. Not at all. Please stay in your own region. Please follow the public health measures.”

“We don’t want people travelling between regions at this point.”

So far, 31 regions in the province have gone back into the reopening framework.

On Thursday, the Ontario government extended all emergency orders under the Reopening Ontario Act (ROA) for at least another month.

Some of the emergency orders under ROA include the province implementing rules on business closures, managing outbreaks, and measures on public gatherings.

The province said as regions move back into the COVID-19 Response Framework this acts as a precaution for a safe and gradual reopening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT