Ford says "everything is on the table" when considering rolling back to Stage 2

Sep 30 2020, 11:12 am

Premier Doug Ford said “everything is on the table” when looking at rolling back to Stage 2 in Ontario.

On Wednesday, during the press conference Ford was asked about what will happen when cabinet is set to consider advice from the Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams, on returning parts of the province to Stage 2.

“Everything is on the table, but Dr. Williams has been very reasonable. We’re measuring  between health and safety, which is number one, and the economy,” Ford responded.

“How do you measure the mental health effects of going bankrupt, where you can’t pay your rent or get food on the table? We aren’t rolling back today, I won’t say it will never happen, but I will always take advice from Dr. Williams and the team.”

Ford added that shutting down the economy is “an extremely tough decision” and that he takes the economy “very seriously” noting this time around the province is better prepared.

Williams also said that they are looking at “different aspects” of going back to Stage 2. But he noted that part of the second stage was the closure of all schools, which is not happening.

“It’s a different time and we’re coming into a different process,” he said. “We’ll see what happens after cabinet has considered our advice.”

Earlier on Wednesday, top health officials forecasted that Ontario will have 1,000 daily COVID-19 cases in the first half of October as the province heads in an upward trajectory.

In order to combat the surge in cases, the province is investing $2.8 billion in its Keeping Ontarians Safe: Preparing for Future Waves of COVID-19.

The plan is targeting testing and laboratory capacity efforts, ensuring people get the flu shot, providing asymptotic testing in almost 80 pharmacies, preventing coronavirus outbreaks, helping with health service backlogs, and hiring more staff to meet the demand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT