Ontario schools will not be reopening on April 6: Ford

Mar 24 2020, 11:35 am

Premier Doug Ford confirmed that students will not be going back to school next month, as the COVID-19 pandemic progresses.

“On April 6 kids won’t be going back to school,” said the premier during a press conference on Tuesday, adding the “number one priority is to make sure the kids are safe and we will do whatever it takes to make sure of it.” 

Ford said he spoke with Premier Francois Legault who has closed schools in Quebec until May.

On Sunday, the Minister of Education Stephen Lecce said that while the original period of time kids would be off school was for two weeks after March Break, given the nature of the pandemic the province is “preparing in the event the closure period is further extended.”

“Specifically, we are working to ensure that students will be able to continue their coursework and credit accumulation, even when we aren’t able to be in a classroom setting,” he said.

The Minister of Education also emphasized that students expecting to graduate this year will not be affected by the cancellations.

Lecce said the cancellation of all EQAO testing was done to ensure that no barriers were in place for kids to graduate — the province cancelled all standardized testing last week.

On March 20, the province launched a new education program called Learn at Home, that will be available online for students.

The program will provide parents and families with educational material in English and French and will offer curriculums for Grade K to 12 with lessons for basics like reading, writing, math, and science skills. There will also be certified tutors available through TVO.

A formal announcement about school closures is expecting from Lecce in the coming days.