Five people criminally charged following large gatherings in Toronto

Feb 7 2021, 9:26 am

Toronto Police have charged multiple people after several large gatherings were held in the city’s downtown core on Saturday.

The Toronto Police Service said that officers had been monitoring multiple large gatherings on February 6, including ones held at Yonge-Dundas Square and Queen’s Park.

Police said that five people were arrested at the gatherings and are now facing charges.

An additional six charges were laid against attendees of the gatherings for failing to comply with the province’s emergency orders, according to TPS.

On January 12, Premier Doug Ford announced a second provincial State of Emergency, as well as a Stay at Home order, which went into effect on January 14.

Under the order, people must only leave home to make essential trips, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing healthcare services, to get exercise, or for essential work.

“The COVID-19 pandemic is not just a public health issue; it is a public safety issue,” Toronto Police tweeted on Saturday morning. “Participating in large gatherings, including protests, is not just in contravention of these orders but also puts attendees and the broader community at risk.”

“When these events happen, police will be present ad prepared to respond appropriately.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT