Etobicoke long-term care home now has 42 reported coronavirus deaths

May 22 2020, 6:50 am

In Ontario, long-term care homes have been heavily impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

And one such facility, in Etobicoke, is no exception now confirming 42 coronavirus-related deaths.

On May 21, Eatonville Care Centre reported that a resident who had tested positive for the virus passed away recently and confirmed that another death that occurred earlier in the month was COVID-19 related.

“As always, our team has notified the family and our thoughts are with the resident’s loved ones,” Evelyn MacDonald, executive director, said in a statement.

However, 98 residents have been assessed by Public Health and have fully recovered from the virus and the number of active resident cases at Eatonville Care Centre now stands at 43.

The long-term care home said they are “hopeful” the number will continue to decrease as more testing results are received.

Amongst the staff, there are 77 recovered, 28 remaining active cases, and two pending tests.

“All COVID-19 positive staff are self-isolating at home and we are closely following Public Health’s direction as they resolve cases and give staff the green light to safely return to work,” MacDonald said.

She added that the team continues to engage in daily conversations with Public Health to share information and receive further direction related to new and ongoing safety precautions.

Some of the measures currently in place include isolating all residents within their rooms, daily monitoring for coronavirus symptoms, ensuring all staff wear the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) as directed by Public Health, and increasing the cleaning and handwashing protocols.

But Eatonville Care Centre is not the only long-term care home in the GTA to be significantly impacted by the pandemic.

According to the Public Health Ontario Daily Epidemiologic Summary (iPHIS), Seven Oaks in Scarborough has reported 41 deaths with 18 cases.

The Mon Sheong Home for the Aged in Toronto has 33 reported deaths and 58 cases.

And, Almonte Care Community has 51 deaths with 66 reported cases. As well as Camilla Care Community with 60 reported deaths and 127 cases, to name only a few of the most impacted in the city.

On Tuesday, the province announced the launch of an independent commission to investigate the situation in Ontario’s long-term care homes.

Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, the Minister of Long-Term Care, confirmed that the commission will begin in September.

“Our government has been clear that we will review the long-term care system to get a better understanding of the impacts and responses to the COVID-19 outbreak,” Fullerton said in a statement on May 19.

“Ontarians need and deserve answers, and let me assure you, they will get them,” Fullerton said.

To date, there are 24,187 total coronavirus cases in Ontario, of which 19.3% come from long-term care resident cases.