The Province of Ontario is closing all drive test centres in the province amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
On Sunday, Christine Elliott the Deputy Premier and Minister of Health, and Caroline Mulroney the Minister of Transportation, said the decision to close drive test centres and travel point locations was based on the advice of Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Williams.
“To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, all full-time DriveTest Centres and part-time Travel Point locations will be closed,” the ministers said in a joint statement.
The closures will take effect March 23, until further notice.
On Monday morning, 78 new coronavirus cases were confirmed in the province, marking largest single-day jump so far.
According to the province, the decision to close driving test centres was the result of a mutual agreement between the government and service provider.
The closures, the ministers want Ontarians to be “rest assured” that they will not lose their current driver’s licences due to the closures and no driver’s licence applicants will lose test fees either.
- See also:
Also, the current “Fail to Keep Appointment” penalty fee will also be waived.
“We have a responsibility to Ontarians to ensure that we take every possible step to enable social distancing and prevent the spread of COVID-19,” they said.
Last week, the Ford government announced that they would be suspending licence renewals. This means, for the time being, residents with expired licences will be able to use them given the extenuating circumstances.
Ontario has now been in a state of emergency for a week.
Since the announcement, all public events of over 50 people have been prohibited, and there is a mandated the closure of restaurants and bars until March 31. Restaurants can still provide take out.
Additionally, numerous other facilities will be closed including, indoor recreational programs, public libraries, private schools, licensed childcare centres, and all theatre.