Ontario Premier Doug Ford revealed he’s itching to get back to the barber’s himself as he asked Torontonians for patience while waiting for hair salons to re-open.
Ford said he understands residents are eager for personal care businesses to open their doors, as questions about allowing outdoor haircuts sprung up last week.
“I hear you … I’d go to the dog clippers at this point,” he said at a press conference Monday. “I’ve got more gel on here than you can shake a stick at.”
Salons should be re-opening in another “few weeks,” Health Minister Christine Elliott added. She asked Ontarians for a little more patience and requested they refrain from turning to underground businesses to get their hair cut.
“Personal service businesses like hair salons are more dangerous because people are in closer contact, and it increases the risk of transmission,” she said.
Although some Torontonians may be keen to get their hair cut as soon as possible, even outdoors, local hairstylists told Daily Hive that cutting hair on the street poses too many logistical challenges.
“Pedestrians tripping on extension cords, a gust of wind knocking over equipment. Let’s imagine the nightmare situations,” Parlour Salon owner Tyler Moore told Daily Hive on Friday.
Salon owners say they’d rather have their staff vaccinated sooner and re-open indoors with proper equipment, electricity, plumbing, and COVID-19 precautions.
- See also:
Ford and Elliott spoke from Scarborough’s Centenary Hospital on Monday where they announced the government is earmarking $1.2 billion for Ontario’s hospitals to help them recoup lost revenues during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Of that, $697 million will cover historic working funds deficits at qualifying public hospitals.
Small and medium sized hospitals as well as those focused on a specialty or rehabilitation will be prioritized for the money, since their operations may have been disproportionately impacted, Elliott said.
Another $572 million will be set aside to help hospitals recover costs lost due to closed retail services, no more copayments for private rooms, and parking.
Officials say the influx of cash will help hospitals tackle their growing surgical backlog and continue caring for the sick and vulnerable during the pandemic and afterwards.
— Doug Ford (@fordnation) March 22, 2021