Ontario’s 8th case of coronavirus has been identified in Toronto.
Late Friday evening, Dr. David Williams, Chief Medical Officer of Health, confirmed a new positive case of COVID-19.
According to Dr. Williams, the latest case is a man in his 80s who had a travel history to Egypt.
“After arriving in Toronto on February 20, 2020, a man in his 80s presented himself at Scarborough Health Network’s General Hospital’s emergency department on February 27, 2020, with a travel history to Egypt,” said Williams.
“As per established infection prevention and control protocols, the patient was cared for at the hospital using all appropriate precautions, including being isolated as he was tested for COVID-19.”
Health officials said that the man was discharged home the same day feeling well and went into self-isolation where he remains.
They also added that throughout his travels, the man wore a mask.
“At this time the virus is not circulating locally, however given the global circumstances, Ontario is actively working with city and health partners to plan for the potential of local spread,” said Williams in a statement.
This was the second case identified in Toronto in one day. Earlier on Friday, the 7th case was presumptively confirmed.
The province said the patient was a man in his 50s presented who himself at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre’s emergency department on February 26 with a travel history to Iran.
Including the 8th case, there are now five positive cases in the province.
Ontario’s first three cases are all resolved, with each of those patients having two consecutive negative tests at least 24 hours apart.