A long-term care home in Etobicoke confirmed that two more residents passed away from COVID-19 related deaths, making the total count 27, as of April 14.
Eatonville Care Centre said they also had an increase in confirmed cases, making the total 53 — they continue to work with local and provincial health authorities in managing the outbreak in the home.
“Unfortunately, two additional residents have passed, increasing the total number of COVID-19 related deaths in our home to 27. We are deeply saddened by the loss of these two residents and have personally informed the families,” Evelyn MacDonald, executive director, said in a statement.
According to the long-term care home, because of the expanded testing criteria, more residents have been tested with 70 patient results still pending.
Some of the measures currently in place at Eatonville Care Centre include; self-isolation of all residents, meal delivery via a tray service, and close monitoring of all residents and staff for virus symptoms twice a day.
The cleaning and sanitizing protocols have also been ramped up across the home, and more care and cleaning staff have been hired.
“From the outset we have been communicating regularly and personally with families who’s loved ones have been impacted by COVID-19. In the interest of being open and transparent with all of our families, over the weekend we took steps to share all of the information we have,” the statement said.
Eatonville Care Centre said they will continue to update families regularly.
“I want to thank the families again for their continued support and understanding in these most difficult and tragic moments, and our front-line staff for their hard work, caring and continued dedication to our residents.”
- See also:
On Tuesday, the City of Toronto confirmed 69 coronavirus-related deaths and 52 outbreaks in long-term care and retirement homes.
Toronto’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Eileen de Villa said the prevention focus for Toronto Public Health will be on this vulnerable demographic.
“The focus will be on local outbreak response,” de Villa said.
There has been one death and 14 outbreaks in retirement homes and 68 deaths and 38 outbreaks in long-term care homes, as of April 14.
Earlier on Tuesday, Premier Doug Ford announced a new emergency order mandating that healthcare employees at long-term care homes work at only one facility, effective April 14 at midnight, in order to prevent the spread of the virus in vulnerable populations.
Around $240 million will be reallocated to support long-term care homes that are experiencing increased outbreaks of the virus across Ontario — 93 homes have outbreaks to date.