As the job market goes through an unpredictable time due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it can feel like a discouraging time to try and find work.
However, tech and finance companies are looking to hire for many positions, offering plenty of work perks and the chance to be part of an innovative team.
In a recent report, Toronto ranked number four in top tech talent of North America, beating out the likes of New York, Boston and Vancouver.
According to the report, the city was a North American leader in tech employment growth “leading up to the COVID-19 pandemic, helping to fortify the city’s status as one of the world’s leading tech centre.”
Toronto was also able to add 66,900 tech jobs over the past five years, the second-most of any North American city in the past five years, beat out only by the San Francisco’s Bay Area.
Daily Hive compiled a list of 12 companies and startups hiring for 118 positions in Toronto. So while the economy is facing challenges, there are still opportunities in your chosen field.
- See also:
- Who: Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use, global cloud-based accounting platform for small businesses and their advisors. The company has two million subscribers in more than 180 countries. Xero seamlessly integrates with more than 800 apps. It was ranked No. 1 by Forbes as the World’s Most Innovative Growth Company for two years running and was included in the 2020 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for their ongoing emphasis on fostering workplace diversity.
- Jobs: Xero Canada is growing their Toronto team and is currently hiring for a number of roles on their Product, Design, Development, Sales, and Technology teams, including a Product Design Lead, Agile Team Facilitator, Sales Operations Manager, Senior Software Developer, Team Lead, Senior Design Researcher, and more.
- Perks: Xero offers a number of great perks including health and wellness benefits and an employee share scheme and leave allowance. In an effort to support their remote workforce through the uncertainty of COVID-19, Xero also recently extended their employee benefits to include robust wellness resources and access to wellness webinars built on physical, mental, social, financial, and environmental well-being.
- More: To learn more about Xero and check out the current openings, visit their careers page.
- Who: Willful is on a mission to change the way Canadians prepare for and deal with death. Their first product is an online platform that makes it affordable, convenient, and easy for Canadians to create a legal will online. The platform provides simplified estate-planning services (creation of a Legal Will, Power of Attorney for Personal Care, and Power of Attorney for property), enabling consumers to create a will and/or power of attorney by following a clear step-by-step process.
- Jobs: Willful is growing its team and is currently hiring a software developer.
- Perks: The company offers many perks to employees including $500 in vacation-savings matching through a vacation fund, a $500 annual education budget, and participation in an employee stock option plan.
- More: Learn more about Willful and check out the current openings here.
- Who: Myant is a health tech company bringing textile computing to another level. It knits sensors and actuators into everyday textiles, giving them the ability to sense and react to the human body. The interface to the human operating system will help people proactively manage health and deliver treatment.
- Jobs: The company is currently hiring for 17 jobs including a Knitting Technician/Programmer – Textile Technician, QMS Specialist, Senior Platform Developer, Hardware Engineer, R&D Electrical/Biomedical Engineer and more.
- More: To see more on careers, go here.
- Who: NorthOne is a mobile-first API-based banking platform that helps startups and small businesses bank, manage their finances, and integrate all of their financial tools in a simple and intuitive way.
- Jobs: The company is currently hiring for 12 positions, including Customer Care Specialist, Business Analyst, Full Stack Developer, Lead Mobile Developer, Head of Finance and Copywriter.
- Perks: The company provides health and dental benefits, flexible vacation and work hours and provides the latest equipment.
- More: If you want to find out more about careers, go here.
- Who: PolicyMe is a rapidly growing, venture-backed insurtech startup making life insurance simpler and more affordable for everyone who needs it. PolicyMe’s online platform provides a digital experience for customers to navigate the entire insurance-buying process, helping Canadians get personalized advice, compare quotes, and apply for life insurance in just a few clicks. The company was founded by Andrew Ostro, Laura McKay, and Jeff McKay in 2018 and is based in Toronto, Canada.
- Jobs: PolicyMe is looking for a Content & SEO Specialist (full time), a Growth Associate (full time), and a Growth Intern (Fall 2020) to join their growing team.
- Perks: PolicyMe offers competitive compensation with a variety of benefits and perks. We value our employees and have created a friendly work environment where everyone can succeed and grow with the company! We are team-driven, collaborative, and accountable to one another. Specific perks include: competitive salary and equity, monthly social events (we have yet to not finish an escape room), 3 weeks vacation, 1 week of personal days, flexible working hours, never-ending snack supply, professional development budget.
- More: You can learn more about PolicyMe’s career opportunities here.
- Who: The health tech company uses artificial intelligence (AI) to build new life-saving genetic therapies. The future of medicine will rely on artificial intelligence, because biology is too complex for humans to understand. At Deep Genomics, its geneticists, molecular biologists, and chemists develop new ways of detecting and treating disease using their biologically accurate artificial intelligence technology.
- Jobs: The company is hiring for nine positions in Toronto including Bioinformatician, Graduate Reacher Intern, Scientist – Machine Learning, Senior Platform Engineer, and Laboratory Technician.
- Perks: Some of the perks at the company include, competitive salary and stock ownership, health benefits, flexible vacation time and regular social events with the team.
- More: To find out more about careers at Deep Genomics visit their jobs page.
- Who: Adeptmind is a technology company optimizing the search experience for ecommerce retail. Leaders in artificial intelligence, Adeptmind was founded by the former Maluuba team, the same team behind the voice assistants for Blackberry, LG, Samsung and Tesla. Their AI technology and holistic deep learning solution provides the most innovative and engaging online shopping experience for leading retailers and shopping centres across North America.
- Jobs: Adeptmind is looking for Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning Engineer and Junior Data Analyst to join their growing team.
- Perks: Adeptmind operates in a work hard, play hard culture that includes daily catered lunches, games, nerf guns, ping pong tournaments and team events.
- More: You can learn more about Adeptmind’s open positions here.
- Who: Wealthsimple is the largest automated investing service in Canada. Started by Michael Katchen five years ago, Wealthsimple is an online investment management company that promises quality financial guidance at a price lower than the incumbents, including all major banks.
- Jobs: This Toronto company is currently looking to fill 19 positions in the city including Client Experience Manager, Engineering Manager, Software Engineer and many more.
- Perks: Savings plans, top-tier healthcare, free daily lunches, endless snacks and beverages, paid-time-off and holidays, Bike Share Toronto membership, professional development budget, and all employees are allowed to build their own tech setup and can choose the computer and monitor of their choice.
- More: You can find a full list of these current openings on the Wealthsimple jobs page.
- Who: Opencare is the largest leading platform that enables patients to connect with the perfect healthcare provider.
- Jobs: Opencare is currently looking to hire for eight jobs, including Analytics Engineer, Dental Billing Specialist, Director of Marketing, Engagement Lead and more.
- Perks: Learning and personal growth, competitive compensation, equity in Opencare, full health benefits, healthy snacks, a beer fridge, and unlimited vacation and sick days.
- More: Learn more about this company and current openings on the Opencare career page.
- Who: Fiix creates modern maintenance software that’s easy to use and affordable. Its cloud-based CMMS is “disrupting the market” by revolutionizing how thousands of companies worldwide schedule, organize, and track maintenance.
- Jobs: The company is hiring for seven positions right now, including Full Stack Software Developer, Java Software Developer, Data Engineer, Scrum Master and BI Report Writer.
- Perks: Fiix offers a range of benefits including four weeks of vacation (and a day off for your birthday), competitive pay, extended health benefits, pregnancy/parental leave top up and much more.
- More: You can visit their job page here.
- Who: Medchart is a quickly growing health-technology start-up, building the world’s “most comprehensive marketplace of patient-owned health data.” Its platform aggregates official health records from any hospital, doctor, or other healthcare facility across North America on behalf of patients and their authorized third parties like other doctors, lawyers, insurers, and researchers.
- Jobs: The company is looking to hire for five positions including Business Development Representative, Sales Development Representative, and Account Manager.
- Perk: The company offers comprehensive health benefits, a retirement plan, and paid vacation and sick leave.
- More: You can visit their job board here.
- Who: Toronto-based Paytm is an app that rewards users for paying their bills with great perks like gift cards for popular brands including Starbucks, Indigo, Sephora, and more.
- Jobs: The company is looking to hire 21 positions in the city including Front-End Developer, Machine Learning Engineer, Mobile App Engineer, Product Manager, Security Engineer, and more.
- Perks: Company perks include a comprehensive benefits plan right from the day you start working, flexible hours, tech meetups, free chocolate and snacks, free coffee, transparent recruitment process, training, a pool table and ping pong tables, and fun monthly events, to name a few.
- More: You can learn more about these exciting opportunities on the Paytm Labs jobs page.