Cineplex is negotiating with the Ontario government to ease gathering size restrictions for indoor settings in order for the theatres to reopen.
So far, 24 regions are in Stage 3 of reopening, with seven more joining on July 24.
In Stage 3, indoor gatherings can increase to 50 people and 100 for outdoor settings.
But, for the movie theatre chain, having theatres with only 50 people will not be enough to turn a profit.
“Cineplex is currently participating in an industry-wide consultation initiated by the Government of Ontario about appropriate capacity limits for the reopening of cinemas in Stage 3,” Dan McGrath, Chief Operating Officer of Cineplex said in a statement.
“While we are certainly excited for the day our operations can resume, our top priority has always been the health and safety of our employees and guests and ensuring that their time with us is safe, comfortable and welcoming.”
On July 15, Cineplex announced they would not be reopening their theatres when certain regions were given the go-ahead to enter Stage 3.
At the time, they said they were still reviewing what’s was being proposed by the province.
Now, it seems this is the key provision they’re reviewing.
Daily Hive reached out to the Government of Ontario for comment and will update accordingly.