There is an aesthetic with the design of a proposed tower at 1 Delisle Avenue that does not currently exist anywhere in Toronto, which is not altogether surprising given that it is the internationally-renowned architect’s first project in Canada.
Slate Asset Management has partnered with Chicago-based Studio Gang Architects for its landmark redevelopment of the southwest corner of Yonge Street and Delisle Avenue – near St. Clair station – in the Midtown district.
The proposal calls for a 556-ft-tall, 48-storey tower, making it one of the tallest buildings in Toronto outside of the downtown area. There will be 263 homes, plus retail and restaurant space within the lower two levels, which will include the retainment of an existing art deco facade of a 1929-built structure. Overall, the project will have a total floor area of about 550,000 sq. ft.
From the base, the tower ascends upwards with eight-storey-high stretch hexagonal modules that cascade over each other, creating a slimmer appearance near the top. This module design, in effect, provides homes with balconies that are enhanced with some solar and wind shelter.
The passive solar heating and cooling provided by the unique modules will help the tower achieve its City of Toronto Tier 2 green building standard.
“Leaning outward for sun-shading and wind protection, they permit use of the balconies and terraces well into the shoulder seasons,” reads the architect’s description of the project.
“In addition to providing protected outdoor space, these elements lend the tower a more human scale. Their angled, alternating geometry allows for variously sized floor plates that result in unique conditions within the units, bringing a diversity of residential options to the mixed-use neighbourhood.”
A generous level of public realm improvements will also be realized if the project is approved. This includes building setbacks to allow for a wider sidewalk, and the adjacent Delisle Parkette will be redesigned and expanded onto the development site’s edge.
- King Toronto will be Canada's most stunning condo project (RENDERINGS)
- North America's largest Spaces co-working office coming to downtown Toronto
- 35 tallest buildings in Canada under construction right now
- A new $800 million office tower is being constructed in downtown Toronto
- Proposed 98-storey tower in Toronto could be Canada's tallest building
- A 12-storey waterfront wood building will soon be part of Toronto's skyline
- Ground broken on what will be the second tallest building in Montreal (RENDERINGS)