Have you ever sat down in a restaurant and wondered how long it’s been around? Good food is passed down from centuries-old recipes.
Online financial services provider NetCredit has created a series of maps that will show the oldest restaurants on the globe.
A little research was needed to plot out these eateries. According to the company, they searched for the “oldest restaurant in [country]” and would then search the country’s capital city if no results were found.
- See also:
If they still came up empty-handed, a search was completed for other cities within the country to ensure that all avenues were explored.
The final step taken was to visit the comments on travel sites to find information from individuals talking about historic restaurants.
“From a historic sausage restaurant in Germany to a bucket chicken eatery in China, these establishments are just as loved today as they were centuries ago,” NetCredit said.
Here is a list of the top 10 oldest restaurants in the world:
10. Gostilna Gastuž is taking the number ten spot. The restaurant was founded in the year 1467, in Slovenia. Their specialty dish is mushroom soup with buckwheat porridge.
9. Coming in at number nine is Honke Owariya. This Japanese restaurant was founded in 1465. Their specialty dish is soba with shiitake mushrooms, shredded thin omelet, sesame seeds, shrimp tempura, wasabi, nori, Japanese leeks, and grated daikon.
8. This number eight spot was founded in 1380. Hotel Gasthof Löwen from Liechtenstein is known for their specialty dish of Sliced veal “Zurich style” with Rösti and vegetables.
7. The seventh oldest restaurant in the world was founded in Scotland. This place is called The Sheep Heid Inn. Their specialty dish is prime steak with rustic chips, roasted mushroom, confit tomato, and parsley butter.
6. If you’re ever in France, remember that you are visiting the country with the sixth oldest restaurant in the world. The restaurant La Couronne was founded in 1345. If you want to try their specialty dish order the pressed duck, standing rib roast, and classic escargot.
5. We’re halfway there. The Brazen Head in Ireland marks the halfway point of oldest restaurants. Located in Ireland, the restaurant is known for its bangers and mash.
4. China has the fourth oldest restaurant in the world. Ma Yu Ching’s Bucket Chicken House was founded in 1153. Their specialty dish is…you’ve guessed it…a bucket of chicken.
3. As we countdown the top three oldest restaurants we move to Wales. The Old House was founded there in 1147. Their specialty dish is the Old House Pie. It features an individually made pie served with chips and peas.
2. The second oldest restaurant in the world is located in Germany. Founded in 1146, Wurtskuchl is known for their Charcoal-grilled sausages and sauerkraut.
1. Drum roll, please. The oldest restaurant in the world is St. Peter Stifts Kulinarium in Austria. The restaurant was founded in 803. Their specialty dish is Tafelspitz – a boiled beef dish with apple and horseradish.