What's open and what's closed on Christmas Day in Montreal
Dec 19 2016, 1:09 pm
With Christmas nearly here, it’s time we get to the bottom of exactly what’s open and what’s closed in our fair city.
Though you will have hopefully finished all of your holiday shopping by December 25th, knowing whether restaurants, movie theatres, and liquor stores are open on the big day is pretty important to forming your Christmas plans.
Check out what’s open and what’s closed on Christmas day in Montreal.
The bad news:
- All banks will be closed
- All federal and provincial government offices will be closed
- All post offices will be closed
- Most restaurants will be closed, with exceptions being those in Chinatown and hotels
- Montreal museums such as the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, the McCord Museum, and Pointe-A-Calliere will be closed
- Outdoor markets, including Atwater Market, Jean-Talon Market, and Maisonneuve Market will be closed
- SAQ liquor stores will be closed
- Most grocery stores will be closed
- Most retail stores and malls will be closed (including all malls in downtown Montreal)
- The Biodome, the Botanical Gardens, and the Science Centre will be closed
The good news:
- Some depanneurs will remain open
- Some pharmacies will remain open, especially larger chains like Pharmaprix
- Garbage and recycling pickup will mostly continue as normal, call 311 if you have any questions or concerns
- Most movie theatres will remain open
- Public transit will remain in operation, though it will be operating on a Sunday schedule
Merry Christmas to all!