It’s time to celebrate the birth of our glorious nation! While Canada Day in Montreal is sure to be filled with fun and patriotic activities, it is a national holiday, which means some places and things you rely on will be closed.
To make your lives easier, we’ve compiled a list of what will remain open and what will be closed in Montreal on Canada Day 2016.
The bad news:
- All banks will be closed
- All federal and provincial government offices will be closed
- Most retail stores and malls will be closed (with the exception of smaller stores)
- All post offices will be closed
The good news:
- SAQ liquor stores will remain open for regular business hours (hooray!)
- Most restaurants will remain open
- Some grocery stores will remain open
- Some pharmacies will remain open, especially larger chains like Jean Coutu and Pharmaprix
- The Biodome, the Botanical Gardens, and the Science Centre will remain open
- Garbage pickup will mostly continue as normal
- Most movie theatres will remain open
- The Casino will remain open
- The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts will remain open
- Outdoor markets, including Atwater Market, Jean-Talon Market, and Maisonneuve Market will remain open
Clearly the good news outweighs the bad news this Canada Day! Don’t worry too much about planning ahead, though if you’re unsure whether a local store or restaurant is open, it’s best to call in advance.
Happy Canada Day, Montreal!