Hospitalizations across Quebec have decreased for the fourth consecutive day.
One week ago, hospitalizations were at 1,163 across the province and have since dropped by 123. As of Friday morning, 1,040 people are hospitalized across Quebec. The number of people in intensive care has decreased by seven since Thursday, for a total of 168.
Public health has also added 1,101 new COVID-19 cases to the provincial total.
According to the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux, 33 new deaths have been added to the provincial tally. Of the newly-added deaths, seven occurred in the last 24 hours, 18 between January 29 and February 3, six from earlier in January, and two from an “unknown date.”
- See also:
Since Thursday, 4,140 doses of vaccine were administered for a total of 248,673. To date, 256,625 doses have been received.
There are now 267,773 COVID-19 cases across the province, 245,339 recoveries, 9,973 deaths, and 2,579,035 negative tests.
On Tuesday, Quebec Premier François Legault announced that several regions across the province would be loosening COVID-19 restrictions.
As of February 8, businesses, salons, libraries, and museums are slated to open everywhere across Quebec. University and CEGEP students will begin a “gradual” return to physical classes.
Legault said the COVID-19 situation has been “improving” over the past few weeks, which he said is “very encouraging.”
The premier says public health sees a decrease in cases and hospitalizations “almost on a daily basis” and thanked Quebecers for their efforts.
Santé Quebec advises residents to “frequently wash” their hands (for 20 seconds with soap and water), use alcohol-based disinfectant, respect the measures regarding private gatherings, and limit travel as much as possible.
The distribution of deaths in Quebec by age group is as follows:
The distribution of provincial cases per age group is as follows:
Canada’s COVID-19 death toll is now 20,557, along with 795,334 total cases.