Quebec reports 18 new coronavirus deaths, 68 more confirmed cases

Jun 30 2020, 8:48 am

The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19 death toll has reached 5,503 after announcing 18 more deaths and 68 cases since Monday.

According to Santé Quebec, there are now 55,458 cases in the province, 435 hospitalizations, and 38 patients in the ICU.

Currently, a reported 551,091 tests have turned up negative throughout Quebec and over 25,000 cases have been resolved.

Last Thursday, the Quebec government opted to favour a weekly coronavirus data summary instead of continuing to report the numbers daily. After receiving public backlash, the government reversed its decision and as of Monday, resumed publishing daily data.

Last week, governing officials said they will continue to monitor the coronavirus situation in Quebec and the health ministry said the numbers are “stabilizing” throughout the province, making a weekly report of data necessary and still informative.

The new data had been reported by hospitals and public health officials as of Monday, June 29, at 6 pm.

Santé Quebec says despite the new cases, hospitalizations and patients in the ICU are continuing to drop. Quebec’s hospitalizations dropped by 20 people since Monday and seven fewer patients in the ICU.

Canada’s coronavirus death toll now totals 8,566.