The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19-related death toll has increased to 939 total after announcing 62 new deaths since Sunday.
As part of his daily briefings, Premier François Legault updated provincial numbers, stating that Quebec now has 18,357 cases (a 962 increase since Sunday). A total of 1,169 patients are hospitalized, 198 of whom are in intensive care.
A total of 148,482 cases have turned up negative throughout Quebec, and 3,847 have been cured of the virus.
- See also:
Before starting the meeting, Legault offered “all my sympathies to our friends in Nova Scotia who endured a terrible tragedy over the weekend.” The premier said that all of Quebec’s thoughts are with them.
“Our national emergency remains the situation in the CHSLDs,” said Legault in French, referencing long-term care homes. “We are still, as I speak to you, missing over 2,000 employees in residences.”
Legault says 200 doctors have agreed to help out in the CHSLD’s staff shortages but stressed “we need a lot more than that.”
Last week, Legault said 90% of the COVID-19 fatalities in the province are citizens 70 years old and older, while 9% are between the ages of 60 and 69. This past Thursday, Legault said he’s “happy” to see that 2,000 doctors throughout the province have responded to his request to reinforce staff members at long-term care homes throughout Quebec.
“We need full-time staff. That is what is important,” he said on Monday. “We want to avoid too much coming in and coming out in each residency. We want full-time staffers.”
According to Legault, 4,000 people are affected by COVID-19 in long-term care homes throughout Quebec, and the province has reinforced short-staff numbers with 65 people from the Canadian Armed Forces and students who are studying in the medical field.
The premier is now calling on family doctors to make CHSLDs their “priority if you have a clear schedule.” He says that since the province has cancelled and postponed activities, “medical staff members should have more time to help elderly residences.”
He also made a request to doctors, nurses, and orderlies to go to Montreal for two weeks to help. “We need you,” he pleaded.
The premier said the province is short CHSLD workers due to former staff members who have contracted the virus or those who fear that they may.
#COVID19 – Au Québec, en date du 20 avril 2020 à 13 h, la situation est la suivante :
19 319 cas confirmés
148 482 analyses négatives (cas infirmés)
1 169 personnes hospitalisées
Pour en savoir plus sur la situation au Québec : https://t.co/fiqW5E4y8R
— Santé Québec (@sante_qc) April 20, 2020
“Go outside today,” concluded Legault. “It’s good for your spirits.” The only thing he urged was to maintain the two-metre distant rule and said everyone has to wash their hands when they return inside.
“Let’s not drop the ball,” he said. “We will get through this together.”
Quebec is one of the global leaders when it comes to screening tests, according to the premier, hence the consistent influx of known cases throughout the province.
Canada’s coronavirus death toll now totals 1,618.