Porter Airlines is temporarily suspending flights starting March 21 until June 1 due to COVID-19, the company announced Wednesday.
The news comes on the same day Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that Canada would be closing its borders with the US.
The airline will operate a schedule until Friday to ensure customers have an opportunity to make last-minute travel arrangements and fly home.
- See also:
“This will occur as long as aviation and public health infrastructure allows us to do so safely,” said Porter President and CEO Michael Deluce in a letter to customers.
Passengers who need to make changes to their flights before March 21 can do so online. Change and cancellation fees have been waived for all Porter flights.
The airline is encouraging passengers with flights after March 21, who would like to make changes, to sit tight as the company assists customers with immediate requests.
“We will email you or your travel agent with information specific to your reservation. It isn’t necessary to contact us at this time while we assist passengers with travel requirements between now and Friday,” said Deluce.
Earlier this week, the federal government said that starting on March 18, foreign nationals would not be allowed to board flights to Canada. There were exceptions, such as Canadian citizens’ immediate family, airline workers, travellers with a layover in Canada, and diplomats.
At the time, Trudeau said the measure didn’t apply to US citizens or to flights coming from Mexico and the Caribbean. But this has since changed.