Today is every child’s favourite day of the school week — a snow day.
Montreal is currently under a freezing drizzle advisory and the resulting thick coat of ice on the roads has forced many schools and school boards around Montreal, mostly in the South Shore, to close.
- Chunks of ice captured falling off Montreal's Olympic Stadium (VIDEO)
- A three-vehicle collision sends dark smoke over a Joliette highway
- Environment Canada issues 'freezing drizzle' advisory for Montreal
- Quebec launches bizarre cannabis public relations campaign (VIDEO)
Montreal’s blend of snow, ice and rain that has pummeled the city this week has made many roads and sidewalks too dangerous to deal with.
Keep that in mind while trying to convince your boss that you need a snow/ice day as well.
Here is a list of schools and school boards that are closed around Montreal today.
- New Frontiers School Board
- Riverside School Board
- Commission scolaire des Grandes-Seigneuries
- Commission scolaire Vallée-des-Tisserands
- Commission scolaire des Hautes-Rivieres
- College Charles-Lemoyne LSL and VSC
- Academie internationale Charles-Lemoyne VSC and LSL
- Marcellin-Champagnat de St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
- College Heritage de Chateauguay
- Ecole internationale de Greenfield Park
“Freezing rain has caused ice accumulations especially in rural areas, where roads and sidewalks are extremely slippery and dangerous,” reads the Riverside School Board website. “As our transportation networks are interrelated, we must close all our schools and centers for the safety of all.”
Temperatures are slated to hover just below freezing throughout the day, before more rain, ice and warmth boosts temperatures to over 0ºC before falling to -7ºC on Friday, which means this dangerous ice burst could be decorating Montreal’s streets into the weekend.