If you’re heading to Montreal for Christmas Day, it’s important to know that much of the city is completely shut down on the 24th and 25th but there are some exceptions.
Some major attractions, restaurants, and museums stay open for holiday visitors.
Though it’s smart to have all your holiday shopping done by December 25, knowing which restaurants, movie theatres, SAQs, and shops are open before the big day is important before you finalize your Christmas plans.
- See also:
You just might be able to save Christmas if grandma asks you to head out and find some eggs and milk.
Keep in mind that while most Ville de Montreal offices will be closed, the 311 Information Line will be open throughout the holiday season. Residents and tourists can receive information about municipal services (including Christmas Day) by calling 311 or (514) 872-0311.
Also, note that Christmas hours are a bit of a crapshoot and we recommend calling business and restaurants before to get their individual holiday hours.
Here is what’s open and closed on Christmas Day in Montreal.
- All banks will be closed
- All federal and provincial government offices will be closed from December 24 to 26
- Garbage disposal and recycling are postponed to December 26
- All post offices will be closed
- Most restaurants will be closed, with exceptions being those in Chinatown and hotels
- Montreal museums such as the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, the McCord Museum, and Pointe-A-Calliere will be closed
- Outdoor markets, including Atwater Market, Jean-Talon Market, and Maisonneuve Market will be closed
- SAQ liquor stores will be closed
- Most grocery stores (larger than 375 square meters) will be closed
- Most retail stores and malls will be closed (including all malls in downtown Montreal)
- The Biodome, the Botanical Gardens, and the Science Centre will be closed
- Parks (outdoor skating rinks and cross-country trails) will be closed meaning equipment rentals and cleanup will not occur
- Some depanneurs will remain open
- Some pharmacies will remain open, especially larger chains like Pharmaprix
- Most movie theatres will remain open, including Dollar Cinema, Cinéma Banque Scotia, and Cineplex Forum
- Public transit will remain in operation, though it will be operating on a Sunday schedule, metro trains will be set at 10-minute intervals
- Parking meters follow their regular schedule throughout the holiday season with no exceptions
- Montreal Casino will remain open
- St. Joseph’s Oratory and the Notre-Dame Basilica will remain open
- Atrium le 1000s Skating Rink will remain open
- All parking meters follow their regular schedule throughout the holiday season. No exceptions.