Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for May 5, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19-related death toll has reached 2,398 after announcing 118 more deaths since Monday afternoon.
As part of his daily briefings, Quebec Premier François Legault updated the province’s numbers, citing 33,417 known cases and 1,821 hospitalizations, 218 of whom are in ICU.
Currently, a reported 209,946 cases have turned up negative throughout the province.
François Legault announced the government is easing some of the restrictions at private seniors’ homes that were put in place in March to limit the spread of COVID-19.
“By wanting to protect our elders, we’ve taken away a lot of freedom of movement,” said Legault in French as part of his daily briefings. “It was necessary to do so, but now is the time to gradually allow them to have a more normal life.”
Since March 23, according to Legault, regular visits had been banned throughout Quebec’s 1,800 private seniors’ homes. The 130,000 residents who lived there have been unable to leave.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced over $252 million in aid to help Canada’s agriculture and food sectors.
Trudeau, who thanked everyone working in the food industry, said that workers must take additional measures to protect themselves and change the way they work in the sector.
Of the funding announced, $77 million will be for food processors to protect the safety of their workers, to buy more personal protective equipment (PPE) or adjust hygiene protocols, and to support other social distancing measures.
Quebec’s work health safety commission has unveiled its deconfinement protocols for when schools and daycares reopen throughout the province.
The work health safety commission, officially the Commission des normes, de l’assurance, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CNESST), has provided what it calls a “COVID-19 kit” which parents and staff are expected to follow when classes resume on May 11 (and May 19 in Montreal and Laval.)
The CNESST highlights that primarily, anyone presenting symptoms of the disease (fever, coughing, respiratory problems) are forbidden from entering school property.
Lyft is launching its “Wait & Save” pilot across Canada amid the pandemic.
According to the company, the pilot is the “most affordable Lyft ride for households and individuals.”
On Tuesday, the ride-sharing company announced that throughout the coronavirus crisis, it has provided access “to transportation for essential services and is a lifeline for many communities.”
It says that rides to and from essential locations (like supermarkets, convenience stores, police stations, drugstores, pharmacies, laundromats, and banks) have increased over 100%.
The Airport Authority (AA) of Hong Kong is testing a new full-body disinfectant machine to protect passengers and airport staff from COVID-19 transmission.
Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) has been experimenting with multiple sanitization technologies, including “disinfection channels, antimicrobial coating and autonomous cleaning robots,” to promote a higher level of cleanliness and hygiene while implementing preventative measures to hinder the spread of coronavirus.