Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for May 26, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19-related death toll has reached 4,139, after announcing 70 more deaths since Monday afternoon.
The Santé Quebec website confirmed 48,598 known cases and 14,03 hospitalizations, 181 of whom are in the ICU.
Currently, a reported 353,036 tests have turned up negative throughout Quebec and over 14,600 cases have been resolved.
A new survey has found that 50% of Canadians do not trust the Canadian government’s information about COVID-19.
According to recently published information from The Association for Canadian Studies, 50% of Canadians surveyed believe the government is deliberately withholding information about coronavirus, while 50% believe they are telling the whole truth.
Out of the provinces, mistrust is highest in Quebec, with 60% of residents believing the government is withholding information.
Those hoping to avoid the outdoors by shopping online will need to be patient, as Canada Post says it is anticipating parcel delays “for the foreseeable future.”
Canada Post also said it is delivering at record levels.
“As Canadians continue to ramp up and diversify their online shopping, Canada Post is responding to unprecedented parcel volumes while maintaining important physical distancing measures in all our facilities,” it said in a statement on Tuesday.
Public health has updated Montreal’s data in regard to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Montreal metropolitan area has the unenviable role of having the most cases throughout the province.
With 24,388 known cases of the virus as of May 26, Montreal accounts for 50.1% of Quebec’s 48,598 total. Montreal also accounts for 62.4% of the province’s total coronavirus-related deaths.
A total of 36 Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members have tested positive for COVID-19 after serving at long-term care homes in Ontario and Quebec.
As of May 24, there are 22 CAF members who have tested positive in Quebec and 14 in Ontario — updates are provided daily for the duration of CAF assistance in long-term care facilities.
It is expected that approximately 1,350 CAF members will work at 25 facilities when the deployment is complete.
Long-term care homes have been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic.
A release from the Angus Reid Institute states that an estimated 82% of all coronavirus-related deaths have occurred at these long-term care facilities, which incited the institute to conduct a study regarding the future of the homes.
According to the release, around two-thirds of the 1,777 Canadian respondents who completed the online survey between May 18 and 19 stated that they would like to see a nationalization of long-term/extended care facilities.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced last week that the Canada-US border closure would be extended by another month, but some Canadians don’t think that is nearly long enough.
The current closure is set to expire on June 21 — far too soon for the majority of respondents to a recent Angus Reid Institute survey.
The online survey had been answered by 1,777 Canadian respondents from May 18 to 19.
IKEA Canada has announced that as of Tuesday, Ontario and Quebec locations of the furniture retail giant are now open.
According to the company’s press release, this includes outlets in Burlington, Etobicoke, Ottawa, North York, and Vaughan locations in Ontario as well as the Boucherville ad spots in Quebec, with the Quebec City location having had opened on May 19.
The retailer has now welcomed back customers to all 11 stores across Albert, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec, with IKEA stores in British Columbia and Nova Scotia being the only Canadian spots that remain temporarily closed.