Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help you digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for July 13, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19 death toll has reached 5,628 after announcing one more death and 100 known cases since Sunday morning.
According to Santé Quebec, there are now 56,621 cases in the province, 305 hospitalizations, and 21 patients in the ICU.
Currently, a reported 621,527 tests have turned up negative throughout Quebec and over 30,000 cases have been resolved.
Face masks/coverings will soon be mandatory in indoor public spaces across the province.
As of Saturday, July 18, masks will be mandatory in all indoor public spaces everywhere in Quebec for citizens aged 12 years and older.
Fines will be issued to business owners who do not enforce the rules, ranging from $400 to $6,000.
As of August 1, fines could be issued to individuals who do not abide by the new rules.
All Quebecers using public transit must wear a face mask as of today.
Last month, the National Director of Public Health, Dr. Horacio Arruda, and Montreal’s Public Health Director, Mylene Drouin, made the announcement alongside Premier François Legault.
There will be a two-week grace period to allow Quebecers to get accustomed to the new rule. By July 27, transit users over the age of 12 who don’t wear a mask will not be permitted to use the services.
Quebec’s biggest amusement park has strapped in for its reopening at the end of July.
In accordance with public health, La Ronde will begin operating at reduced capacity on July 25, 26, 31, and August 1 and 2 to its members and season pass holders before opening to the general public for the summer on August 3.
After the park’s initial reopening phase, La Ronde will gradually increase attendance capacity throughout the rest of August.
After announcing in June that the Canada/US border would remain closed until July 21, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Monday that he had spoken with President Trump about what the next steps may look like around the reopening process, as the deadline nears.
“We recognized that the situation continues to be complex in the US in regards to COVID-19,” said Trudeau during his daily briefing.
For the next two weeks, the STM (Société de transport de Montréal) will continue to hand over 300,000 reusable face masks throughout its network, an operation that began at the start of June.
The public transit network says the face coverings will be given away in the metro’s busiest stations and in areas that have been hit hardest by the pandemic.
“Face coverings are now mandatory on public transit for clients aged 12 years and over,” states the STM website. “We will again be handing out reusable face coverings on the territory of the island of Montréal as of Monday, July 13.”
The Montreal Canadiens and Max Domi are going to wait before deciding if the star forward will join his teammates for the restart of NHL hockey.
Domi has Type 1 diabetes, so playing during a pandemic has increased risks for him.