Budweiser Canada has announced that it will be redirecting a portion of the investments planned for sports to the Canadian Red Cross.
The move aims to help support those on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The company will donate $500,000 to the Canadian Red Cross Fund, which will support five key areas relating to the coronavirus, including:
- Distributing emergency supplies such as cots, blankets and hygiene kits upon request by local authorities.
- Providing emotional and psychosocial support via phone, and referring Canadians to specialized mental health care.
- Exploring a potential role in training for essential frontline personnel (community workers) on the use of masks, gloves and gowns.
- Supporting the distribution of financial assistance to those eligible through government programs in Quebec and New Brunswick.
- Helping people through the uncertainty by providing key information and referrals to available assistance.
“Canadian Red Cross volunteers and staff are currently responding to emerging needs across the country as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, in addition to preparing for the possibility of floods, wildfires, and other disasters that may affect people over the spring and summer months,” Melanie Soler, vice-president of emergency management for Canadian Red Cross, said in a release.
- See also:
In addition, earlier this week, Labatt Breweries of Canada, parent company of Budweiser Canada, announced a shift in production from beer to hand sanitizer at select breweries.
The initial production transition will result in 50,000 bottles of hand sanitizer, which will be donated to support Food Banks Canada, front line workers, and partners in the restaurant and bar industry.
“COVID-19 has changed how we all live our lives for the time being, but it hasn’t changed Budweiser Canada’s commitment to our community,” said Todd Allen, VP of marketing for Labatt Breweries of Canada, in the release.
“We feel that this is a time to do what we can to support communities in need and most of all, the heroes on the front lines, leveraging our resources, our relationships, and our reach to do our part. We invite other companies to use their unique capabilities to join us in this effort, however they can, so that together we can make a difference.”