Calgary is a beautiful destination unto itself, but the winters here can be a little… trying.
Luckily enough for those of us with a valid passport, there are other, less frozen destinations to travel to when the going gets frigid out here in YYC — and WestJet has just expanded those escape options.
- 'Thor Odinson' attempts to purchase weed from online dispensary with expired ID
- Canadian video game streamer under fire for throwing cat while playing
- Australian authorities find $1M in meth hidden in Canadian snow globes
According to a Monday release, the airline will be increasing the frequency of many of its connections out of the Calgary Internation Airport, with service being amped up from YYC out to Paris, France; Nashville, Tennessee; and Portland, Oregon.
They may not be the most tropical destinations, but they are definitely a bit closer to the equator than Calgary.
The seasonal service to the three hubs is nothing new, but the 2019/2020 schedule will see service to Paris and Nashville commencing earlier than usual, starting on March 12 and March 16, respectively.
The summer service to Portland that Calgarians have been enjoying over the past few months is expected to be extended into the winter, with flights operating daily to the coastal city.
“By executing on our hub strategy, we’re improving schedules not only for guests in Calgary, Vancouver, and Toronto, but also building thousands of new connections for guests across the country,” said Arved von zur Muehlen, WestJet’s chief commercial officer, in the release.
“This winter Canadians have more flights and better access to popular leisure and business destinations and will benefit from schedule improvements, frequency increases, and improved connectivity across our growing global network.”
Here are the Westjet services that Calgarians can expect to see this 2019/2020 winter season:
- Calgary–Halifax, from seven times weekly to 10 times weekly
- Calgary–London, Gatwick, from three times weekly to four times weekly flights
- Calgary–Fort Lauderdale, from once weekly to twice weekly
- Calgary–Honolulu, from two times weekly to three times weekly
- Calgary-Varadero, from once weekly to twice weekly
- Calgary–Paris, seasonal service beginning March 12, 2020
- Calgary–Nashville, seasonal service beginning March 16, 2020
- Calgary–Portland, extension of daily summer route through winter
- Calgary–Maui, 787 Dreamliner service
- Calgary–Punta Cana, new weekly service beginning December 14, 2019
More information about the winter schedule can be found on Westjet’s website.