The end of the work week is here and there is finally some sunshine to enjoy! Here are some awesome events to help kick start your weekend fun.
The Tony® Award Winning musical, MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET is set on December 4, 1956. History was made when an extraordinary twist of fate brought Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and Elvis Presley together at Sun Records in Memphis for what would be one of the greatest impromptu jam sessions ever. It brings to light the extraordinary story of broken promises, secrets, betrayal, and the once-in-a-lifetime celebration of four friends that is altogether poignant, heartwarming and funny.
- Where: Stage West – 727 42 Avenue SE
- When: September 9 to November 13
- Tickets: $119 (includes dinner)
Featuring a variety of ethnic street foods, local vendors, buskers, and entertainment, the Calgary Night Market has everything from jewelry to clothes, to household items. The market is happening on the first and last Fridays of the month until September 9. Admission to the Night Market is free.
- When: September 9 from 4 to 10 pm
- Where: Central Memorial Park – 1221 2nd Street SW
- Event page: facebook.com
Calgary’s first ever LEGO Imagine Nation Tour is coming to town this weekend, bringing along expert Master Builders and unique LEGO creations galore.The brick-building extravaganza features 13 different pavilions and 20 stunning life-sized LEGO models. Attendees at the show, the largest LEGO building event ever to hit Canada, will have a chance to learn building tricks from one of only eight Master Builders in the world.
- Where: BMO Centre – 20 Roundup Way SW
- When: Friday, September 9 from 4 to 8 pm – Saturday and Sunday times as well
- Tickets: Available online, $28.50 for general admission
Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s gift for satire has only grown through their years of making South Park. The Book of Mormon focuses on two bright-eyed young men on their first mission with the Church of Latter Day Saints. The structure of the show is classic: the perfect Mormon student is paired with the goofy side-kick and sent to a world that neither of them could have prepared for.
- When: September 6-11
- Where: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium – 1415 14th Avenue NW
Lovers of night markets, mark your calendars, the Mid-Autumn Night Market is hitting Calgary.The Mid-Autumn Night Market coincides with the Mid-Autmn Festival, a celebration based on the lunar calendar that occurs when the moon is at its roundest and brightest. This symbolizes togetherness and reunion in Chinese culture.
- When: Friday, September 9 to Sunday, September 11; various times.
- Where: Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre – 197 First Street SW