5 things to do in Calgary today: Friday, September 16
The end of the work week is here and there is finally some sunshine to enjoy! Here are some awesome events to help kick start your weekend fun.
Calgary’s annual smash up of art, science and engineering, is here this September. More than 110,000 festivalgoers and 150 international artists and engineers are expected to attend, to build, compete and exhibit interactive works of art throughout the city. This year, Beakerhead will include more than 65 mechanical sculptures, interactive street art, classrooms of creators, culinary delights, and spectacular performances. Plus, Beakernight will light up the streets of Bridgeland with live music, beakerbar and quirky inventions ranging from a hamster wheel-powered tricycle to a can-crushing cow.
- Where: All over Calgary
- When: From Wednesday, September 14 through Sunday, September 18
- Tickets: beakerhead.com
- 21 photos of day one at Beakerhead 2016
- 23 free events and exhibits to look for at the Beakerhead 2016 science extravaganza
- Top events to check out at Beakerhead this weekend
Million Dollar Quartet
The Tony® Award Winning musical, MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET is set on December 4, 1956. History was made when an extraordinary twist of fate brought Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and Elvis Presley together at Sun Records in Memphis for what would be one of the greatest impromptu jam sessions ever. It brings to light the extraordinary story of broken promises, secrets, betrayal, and the once-in-a-lifetime celebration of four friends that is altogether poignant, heartwarming and funny.
- Where: Stage West – 727 42 Avenue SE
- When: September 9 to November 13
- Tickets: $119 (includes dinner)
Calgary Greek Festival
This three day celebration of Greek culture is a chance for the community to come together. Attendees to this free annual event will find a range of entertainment options, traditional Greek food, dancing, and a whole lot more.
- When: September 16 to 18
- Where: Hellenic Community Centre – 1 Tamarac Crescent SW
- Cost: Free admission for children under 12 and seniors; $5 general admission
Illuminasia Lantern and Garden Festival 2016
The Illuminasia Lantern and Garden Festival returns to the Calgary Zoo for the second year in a row, and this time around there are 145 extra lanterns to dazzle you. The lanterns are seasonal-themed this year, so you’ll be taken on a journey from winter to spring, and they’ll depict culturally significant animals as well as zoo favourites. Relish in the arts of Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Korean cultures, and check out live music, an art gallery, and garden displays as well.
- Where: Calgary Zoo – 1300 Zoo Road NE
- When: Thursday, September 8 to Sunday, October 16
Here she comes again! Country legend Dolly Parton will dazzle Calgary on September 16 with songs and stories from her storied, six decade-long career. Parton has racked up an impressive 25 Number One songs on Billboard’s country chart, more than any other female artist, and her latest album Pure & Simple is a best-seller.
- When: Friday, September 16 at 7:30 pm
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SE
- Tickets: Available online from $39.50 to $97.50. All ages