The end of the work week is here and there is finally some sunshine to enjoy! Here are some awesome events to help kick start your weekend fun.
Canada’s Olympic Network, CBC/Radio-Canada is providing free viewing spaces where Canadians can gather together to watch Team Canada compete against the best in the world.
- Where: Stephen Avenue Walk – 8th Avenue between Centre Street and 1st Street SE
- When: Friday, August 19 from 9 am to 6 pm
The music festival, which will take place on August 19 and 20 at Shaw Millennium Park, aims to promote reggae music and Caribbean culture. The main stage will feature performances from local, national and international reggae stars, including Juno-award winning Kafinal, plus Warrior King and Razor B.
- Where: Shaw Millennium Park – 1220 9th Avenue SW
- When: Friday, August 19, from 4 to 10 pm, and Saturday, August 20, from 12 to 10:30 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, $30 for weekend pass, $15 for Friday admission, $25 for Saturday admission
Theatre Calgary is bringing Hamlet outside as it shows its annual outdoor performances of Shakespeare by the Bow. It is a pay-what-you-will and non-ticketed event, so you can just turn up with a blanket and picnic and settle in; the suggested donation is $20 per adult. All funds go towards the Shakespeare by the Bow program providing mentorship and support for Alberta’s emerging theatre artists.
- Where: Prince’s Island Park – 698 Eau Claire Avenue SW
- When: Now until August 21, every day except Mondays; performances at 7 pm, with an extra 2pm matinee on Sundays.
- More info: Theatre Calgary’s website
The first year of the debut inner city festival in Calgary, featuring Luke Bryan, Big & Rich, Tim McGraw and many more.
- Where: Prairie Winds Park – 223 Castleridge Boulevard NE
- When: August 19 to 21
- Tickets: Available online
Calgary’s annual fireworks festival is back. The event, which runs from August 15 to 27, will include several pyromusical shows, as well as cultural music, a human rights forum, a night market and even a citizenship ceremony.
- Where: Elliston Park in East Calgary (main gate at the corner of 17th [International] Avenue and 60th Street SE).
- When: August 15 to 27 from 6 to 11:30 p.m. every night.
No entry after 9:15 p.m.
- Tickets: Available at online or at Calgary Co-op Customer Service Offices and Marlborough Mall.