FEATURED EVENTS IN YOUR CITY
ARTS & THEATRE, FESTIVAL
Sat, September 19, 5:00am
Apik Art Gallery
ARTS & THEATRE, VIRTUAL
Thu, October 1, 5:30pm
Sun, October 11, 12:00pm
Starts at $54.00
ARTS & THEATRE, VIRTUAL
Wed, September 23, 8:00pm
Starts at $5.00
No matter what you’re in the mood for, there are lots of things happening around Calgary this weekend.
- 12 of the best places to take photos in Calgary
- Best patios in Northeast Calgary
- 25 things to do with dad in Calgary this Father’s Day
- What: New to the East Village this summer, this Pop-Up retail park offers Calgarians a place to shop, eat and play. Be sure to check out all 12 retailers located in 12 x 12 shipping containers, along with food trucks, live music and more! Every Thursday through Sunday from June 1 – October 1 you can expect food truck eats, music, performances, art and much much more!
- Where: EV Junction – 439 8 Avenue SE
- When: June 15 to 18
- Cost: FREE
- What: UTOPIA is a research and exhibition project that aims to engage in a larger discussion on how our communities are formed, while also encouraging a dialogue on topics such as Nationalism, state-making, inclusion etc. Be sure t o check it out soon, as it ends in July!
- Where: 117 8 Avenue SW
- When: March – July
- Cost: FREE
- What: Happening on stages throughout the city including performances at Inglewood’s Ironwood Stage and Grill, Lolita’s Lounge, and with a main concert featuring multi-JUNO award-winner, pianist Renee Rosnes in a duo with bassist Neil Swainson at MRU’s Taylor Centre, this four day festival will jazz up Calgary’s summer.
- Where: Various locations
- When: June 15 to 18
- Tickets: Through JazzYYC; Free – $35
- What: RowBody is the newest addition to the work out selection offered at Movement U and soon to be your new little secret as to where you got those killer washboard abs. As with all programs at the studio, music is the backbone to this heart-pounding, 45-minute cardio workout that focuses on full body strength training and is split between the rower and floor exercises. This workout will target and tone over 80% of the muscles in your body, giving you the results that you have been looking for!
- Where: 16 4 Street NE
- When: Runs at various times throughout the week. Register online or through your MindBody App. See the full schedule here!
- Cost: RowBody is included in the price of all of the class packages available at Movement U along with Row, Spin and HIIT.
- What: Widely-produced in the US for over two years including a Broadway production directed by David Schwimmer, Sex with Strangers makes its Canadian debut. In a story about a growing connection between a blogger and a book writer both with literary ambitions aiming to do all they can to succeed, this love story explores their burning desires, secret agendas, and the powers and struggles created by our digital-dominated world.
- Where: Motel Theatre, Arts Commons- 205 8 Avenue SE
- When: June 16 to 24
- Tickets: Email [email protected] to reserve or purchase it at the door; $22.50
- What: Spend an evening transported back to an era of hard rock, emotional guitar solos and hair that reached exponential heights, the good ol’ 80s! This lively musical captures the beauty and innocence of small town love, while integrating the influences of classic Rock and Roll in that era. The music line-up is littered with famous songs by Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Journey, Bon Jovi and more, that will have you to singing and dancing along throughout the show!
- Where: Stage West Calgary – 727 42 Avenue SE
- When: April 21 to June 25 – occurs weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday
- Cost: $75
- What: Nestled in the woods, this market has some great hidden gems to offer! Shop a curated selection of curated vintage, upcycled and hand designed products while you enjoy the scenery that this small, yet mighty village has to offer.
- Where: The Bragg Creek Community Centre – 23 White Avenue, Bragg Creek
- When: June 16-17
- Cost: $4
- What: Star Wars and Star Trek fans unite! Led by guest orchestra conductor, John Morris Russell this unbelievable performance aims at giving an orchestral salute to these two Hollywood classics. The performance will be presented alongside spectacular astronomy images courtesy of renowned American astronomer Dr. José Salgado.
- Where: Jack Singer Concert Hall – 205 8 Avenue SE
- When: June 16 – 17
- Cost: $25-$85
- What: 2016 was the year of music here in Calgary, and the music industry in our city is now booming as a result. Spend date night at one of the many venues on YYC’s Music Mile, between Inglewood and East Village, and be entertained by some of our city’s best local talent at a live show, while enjoying a few drinks with your significant other. See the list of venues and performances here!
- Where: Music Mile – between Inglewood and East Village
- Cost: FREE
- What: The hit Egyptian trance music duo host an internet radio show called Future Sound of Egypt, and founded a label by the same name. While the two still produce music together, only Fila since Aly suffered an ear injury while performing.
- Where: Marquee Beer Market & Stage – 4630 Macleod Trail SW
- When: June 17 at 9 pm
- Tickets: Available online for $25
- What: Build a team or grab the family and come downtown on Father’s Day weekend for a free fun-filled Scavenger Hunt in Downtown Calgary. Teams will receive clues that will lead them all over the CORE Shopping Centre and downtown. This event is free and fully wheelchair accessible!
- Where: CORE Shopping Centre – 324 8 Avenue SW
- June 17 from 10am to 6pm
- June 18 from 12 to 5pm
- Cost: Free
- What: Marking the 30 anniversary of Stage One supporting theatrical creation, development, and production of one-act plays, you can catch local talent with up to three shows debuting per week at Lunchbox Theatre.
- Where: Lunchbox Theatre – 160 9 Avenue SE
- When: On Fridays and Saturdays from June 9 to June 24
- Tickets: Free admission
- What: Cineplex Family Favourites are the perfect day to take your little one or your big ones to the movies on the cheap. Watch a family favourite film each week for only $2.99. A portion of the proceeds goes towards supporting Free The Children with this week’s movie being ‘Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them.’
- Where: Participating Cineplex theatres
- When: Saturday, June 17 at 11am
- Cost: $2.99
- What: For many years, Model Milk has offered their wildly popular Sunday Supper every week, serving a casual three course family-style meal instead of their regular menu. The meal incorporates a few appetizer plates, two meat proteins, multiple sides, and a sweet finish, all of which can be enjoyed in the comfortable atmosphere that Model Milk provides.
- Where: 308 17 Avenue SW
- When: Every Sunday until September 3
- What: Telus Spark is turning 50 and they want you to join them in the celebrations! Conveniently the event lands right on Neighbor Day, so that gives you all the more reason to celebrate. There will be a ton of fun happening throughout the day for all ages, such as bouncy castles, live entertainment, face painting arts and crafts, The Horizon Dome Show and more!
- Where: 220 St. George’s Drive NE
- When: June 17
- Cost: Admission for donation
- What: Join a Lululemon ambassador for a one-hour Ashtanga yoga session at the to of the new Banff Gondola Summit. Talk about yoga with a view!
- Where: Citizenship Pavilion, level 4 of the new Banff Gondola summit
- When: June 18
- Cost: $62 (Gondola Admission)
Go for brunch!
- You can never go wrong with Sunday brunch, or rather brunch on any day of the week! It makes for a great date or if you looking for a place to catch up with old friends that won’t break the bank after the holidays. Bonding over benny is a real thing! Here are a few spots that are either new to Calgary’s brunch scene or are not your classic brunch spots that you have been to millions of times before.
- Ten Foot Henry
- Alforno Bakery and Café
- Phil and Sebastians on 8th Avenue SW
- OEB Breakfast Co. on 5th Avenue SW
- Bridgette Bar
- Starbelly Open Kitchen + Lounge
- Native Tongues Taqueria