FEATURED EVENTS IN YOUR CITY
Fri, September 25, 6:15pm
Big Art Drive-In at TELUS Spark
Starts at $25.00
Thu, October 1, 12:00am
ARTS & THEATRE, VIRTUAL
Thu, October 1, 5:30pm
Sun, October 11, 12:00pm
Starts at $54.00
No matter what you’re in the mood for, there are lots of things happening around Calgary this weekend.
- What: This multidisciplinary installation will intrigue your senses and your mind. Andrea Roberts brings together sound using early recording techniques, vocal incantation, and drones mixed with groupings of prints and sculptures to explore feminist resistance in the context of neoliberal capitalism.
- Where: TRUCK Main Space – 2009 10 Avenue SW
- When: Opening reception is on June 2 at 8pm. Runs June 2 to July 15
- Tickets: Free
- What: UTOPIA is a research and exhibition project that aims to engage in a larger discussion on how our communities are formed, while also encouraging a dialogue on topics such as Nationalism, state-making, inclusion etc. Be sure t o check it out soon, as it ends in July!
- Where: 117 8 Avenue SW
- When: March – July
- Cost: FREE
- What: The 3rd annual Bridgeland Cultura Fest is taking place on Saturday. The festival will showcase culture, history and the diverse blend of character of the community. This year the focus will be on bringing our community together with our city to share in music, food and merchandise.
- Where: Bridgeland Riverside Community Hall – 917 Center Avenue NE
- When: Saturday, June 10 from 11 am to 5 pm
- What: RowBody is the newest addition to the work out selection offered at Movement U and soon to be your new little secret as to where you got those killer washboard abs. As with all programs at the studio, music is the backbone to this heart-pounding, 45-minute cardio workout that focuses on full body strength training and is split between the rower and floor exercises. This workout will target and tone over 80% of the muscles in your body, giving you the results that you have been looking for!
- Where: 16 4 Street NE
- When: Runs at various times throughout the week. Register online or through your MindBody App. See the full schedule here!
- Cost: RowBody is included in the price of all of the class packages available at Movement U along with Row, Spin and HIIT.
- What: Spend an evening transported back to an era of hard rock, emotional guitar solos and hair that reached exponential heights, the good ol’ 80s! This lively musical captures the beauty and innocence of small town love, while integrating the influences of classic Rock and Roll in that era. The music line-up is littered with famous songs by Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Journey, Bon Jovi and more, that will have you to singing and dancing along throughout the show!
- Where: Stage West Calgary – 727 42 Avenue SE
- When: April 21 to June 25 – occurs weekly on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday
- Cost: $75
- What: 2016 was the year of music here in Calgary, and the music industry in our city is now booming as a result. Spend date night at one of the many venues on YYC’s Music Mile, between Inglewood and East Village, and be entertained by some of our city’s best local talent at a live show, while enjoying a few drinks with your significant other. See the list of venues and performances here!
- Where: Music Mile – between Inglewood and East Village
- Cost: FREE
- What: Get ready to laugh until you cry at the 17th annual FunnyFest! This is an event that is put on but hundreds of volunteers to bring laughter to the city of Calgary in a variety of ways. This is a great way to switch up date night or have a FUNny night out with friends!
- Where: Various Venues
- When: June 1 -11
- Cost: $15-$80
- What: Marking the 30 anniversary of Stage One supporting theatrical creation, development, and production of one-act plays, you can catch local talent with up to three shows debuting per week at Lunchbox Theatre.
- Where: Lunchbox Theatre – 160 9 Avenue SE
- When: On Fridays and Saturdays from June 9 to June 24
- Tickets: Free admission
- What: Launching this June is a unique gourmet dining experience at Heritage Park that is a different alternative to a traditional restaurant! The 1929 “River Forth CP Rail Car” has been fully restored to its original beauty as a dining car so you can go back in time and experience what it would have been like to travel across Canada by train in the early 1900’s.
- Where: Heritage Park – 1900 Heritage Drive SW
- When: June – August
- What: Tantalize your taste buds at the 1st annual Kensington Foodie Festival. There will be a variety of food-related events happening at different bars and restaurants throughout the neighborhood, between June 7 – 11. Be sure to check it out!
- Where: Kensington Road and 10 Street
- When: June 7 – 11
- Cost: Varies depending on event
- What: Cineplex Family Favourites are the perfect day to take your little one or your big ones to the movies on the cheap. Watch a family favourite film each week for only $2.99. A portion of the proceeds goes towards supporting Free The Children with this week’s movie being ‘A Dog’s Purpose.’
- Where: Participating Cineplex theatres
- When: Saturday, June 10 at 11am
- Cost: $2.99
- What: Based on a true serial murder case known as ‘The Brides in the Bath’ that was committed By George Joseph Smith in England between 1912 to 1914, this lyrical production of the story of three murdered wives is breathtaking. The three-character cast delves into each of the wive’s stories from their devotion to their husband to their last breaths.
- Where: Vertigo Theatre – 115 9 Avenue SE
- When: Playing until June 11
- Tickets: At Vertigo Theatre; $66
- What: Join the #bossbabes of Calgary at YYC Girl Gang’s 2nd annual High Tea at Azuridge Estate. Sip on delicious tea and finger sandwiches, while you get hear Chantel from Kitatude talk all about social media and curating a following for your business. This is a great networking event to go to if you are looking to expand your community and support other #girlbosses like yourself!
- Where: Azuridge Estate Hotel – 1780 272 Street West Priddis
- When: June 11
- Cost: $65
- What: Puppies and Prosecco, there is no better combination! Attend a private group training class for you and your pup on the patio of Vin Room Mission, led by the Dogma Behaviour & Education Centre. You will receive 2 glasses of wine or Prosecco and house made treats for your furry friend throughout the evening.
- Where: Vin Room Mission – 2310 – 4 Street SW
- When: June 11
- Cost: $40
- What: For many years, Model Milk has offered their wildly popular Sunday Supper every week, serving a casual three course family-style meal instead of their regular menu. The meal incorporates a few appetizer plates, two meat proteins, multiple sides, and a sweet finish, all of which can be enjoyed in the comfortable atmosphere that Model Milk provides.
- Where: 308 17 Avenue SW
- When: Every Sunday until September 3
Go for brunch!
- You can never go wrong with Sunday brunch, or rather brunch on any day of the week! It makes for a great date or if you looking for a place to catch up with old friends that won’t break the bank after the holidays. Bonding over benny is a real thing! Here are a few spots that are either new to Calgary’s brunch scene or are not your classic brunch spots that you have been to millions of times before.
- Ten Foot Henry
- Alforno Bakery and Café
- Phil and Sebastians on 8th Avenue SW
- OEB Breakfast Co. on 5th Avenue SW
- Bridgette Bar
- Starbelly Open Kitchen + Lounge
- Native Tongues Taqueria