Looking for something to do this week? Well you’re in luck!
Here are some of the top events to check out in Calgary between October 17 and 23.
- What: Fluid Movement Arts Festival will bring grassroots and glitzy artists alike together to shine a light on the bold, beautiful spectrum of dance that permeates modern culture. The city will be alive with performances, workshops, artist talks, and creative happenings to inspire and connect people.
- Where: Decidedly Jazz Danceworks – 111 12 Avenue SE
- When: Thursday, October 13 through Saturday, October 29
- Tickets: Start at $15. Click here to purchase.
- What: Hockey at the dome is finally back this week! Regular season play hits home ice this week with a 3 game homestand.
- Where: The Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SE
- Tuesday, October 18 at 7 pm Buffalo Sabers
- Thursday, October 20 at 7 pm vs Carolina Hurricanes
- Saturday, October 22 at 8 pm vs St. Louis Blues
- What: Our Lady Peace and I Mother Earth with Guests are coming to Calgary. The Canadian rock band has sold millions of albums worldwide, won four Juno Awards, and won ten MuchMusic Video Awards — the most MMVAs ever awarded to any artist or group.
- Where: Grey Eagle Event Centre – 3777 Grey Eagle Drive
- When: Wednesday, October 19 at 7 pm
- Cost: $52.38 + tax/fees
- What: Check out one of Calgary’s most scenic neighbourhoods and all the culinary treats it has to offer. Destinations on this tour include Crave Cookies and Cupcakes, Brasserie Kensington, Kensington Wine Market, Pulcinella, The Naked Leaf, Peasant Cheese Shop, and The Kensington Riverside Inn.
- When: every Thursday until October 27 from 11am to 2:30pm
- Where: meet at The Kensington Riverside Inn – 1126 Memorial Drive NW
- Price: $100 per person
Visit a Farmers’ Market
Popular among chefs, home cooks, and local gastronomes, farmers’ markets have become an integral part of Calgary’s food landscape. Not only do these community events grant local farmers, growers, and bakers the opportunity to connect with urban folk but they also provide them with a space to show off their seasonal favourites. Here’s a quick list of a few.
- Calgary Farmers’ Market
- Crossroads Market
- Symons Valley Ranch
- DJ Market
- Hillhurst Sunnyside Farmers’ Market
- Marda Loop Farmers’ Market
- What: Watch as our CFL pride and joy take on their rivals this summer. Keep those blankets handy – natural AC might make it a bit chilly.
- Where: McMahon Stadium – 1817 Crowchild Trail NW
- When: Friday, October 21 at 8 pm vs Toronto Argonauts
- What: ScreamFest is Canada’s biggest Halloween festival, and runs this year from October 14 through October 31 at The Grandstand Building at Stampede Park. Rated PG13, ScreamFest features a huge array of haunted houses, Halloween-themed carnival games, and plenty of creepy and disturbing entertainment. Although it is usually open to all ages, this year there will be a ScreamFest adults-only night on October 27, complete with booze and ID checks at the door.
- Where: The Grandstand Building at Stampede Park – 3rd Street SE
- When: October 14 through October 31
- What: Get out your shopping bags, the Calgary Fall Night Market returns for another year. This is the only night market open in Calgary during the fall and winter months and is a great place to get your Christmas shopping started (and finished). There will be artisanal vendors on hand, as well as food trucks, a food court, and buskers.
- When: Friday, October 21 from 5 to 11 pm
- Where: Eau Claire Market – 200 Barclay Parade SW
- What: Find your way out of corn mazes in the dark! All weekends in October, head to Cobb’s Corn Maze for Freaky Flashlight Nights every Friday and Saturday. You can also take a ride on their creepy tractor (tell us how it goes) or brave their haunted houses.
- Where: Cobb’s Corn Maze -1500 84th Street NE
- When: Fridays and Saturdays October 1 to 29
- Cost: Children under 3 are free, Children $12.50, Adults $13.50
- What: Cineplex theatres across Canada will be hosting the event. Popcorn, drinks, and select candy will be available to purchase for $2, with all proceeds going towards WE (formally known as Free The Children). Cineplex has not yet announced what movies will be showing for free, but be sure to check their website for details.
- Where: Cineplex theatres across Canada
- When: Saturday, October 22
- Tickets: Available for free at Cineplex locations
- What: The Calgary Zombie Evasion is a CHIP-TIMED 5km individual and team event! The trail run event takes place at North Glenmore Park and each runner will wear a flag football-style belt. You never know where the Zombies will appear.If you make it through the course with any of your flags left, you’ve finished “alive”! If the zombies take all of your flags….you’ve become infected and will finish as a part of the “undead”.
- Where: North Glenmore Park – 7305 Crowchild Trail SW
- When: Saturday, October 22
- Cost: Individual race $65
- What: Halloween is just around the corner, and Strathcona Square Shopping Centre is throwing a Pumpkin Festival to celebrate. There will be a pumpkin pie contest, a pumpkin carving contest to satiate the cravings of those hungry for Halloween and more!
- Where: Strathcona Square Shopping Centre – 555 Strathcona Boulevard SW
- When: Saturday, October 22 to Sunday, October 23 from 11:30 am to 3 pm
- What: Head to Aspen Crossing Railway for their Train of Terror event. Aboard the Train of Terror, you will experience haunted railway cars, disturbing entertainment and ultimate FEAR! If you make it through the fright cars alive, join us on the other side where you will find a Halloween party, with food and drinks for purchase!
- Where: Aspen Crossing – Highway #24, Mossleigh, AB
- When: Runs October 8 to October 30 – Check website for exact dates
- Cost: $69.99
- What: Taking place over four weekends in October, The Autumn Pumpkin Festival does not take place on weekdays except for Thanksgiving Monday. Enjoy the Fun Farm,Petting Zoo, Corn Mazes, Pony rides, Pumpkin Patch games, crafts and more!
- Where: 284022 Township Road 224, Rockyview, Alberta
- When: October 1 and 2, October 8 to 10, October 15 and 16, October 22 and 23
- Cost: 13.80+gst (kids under 2 free)
- What: Cheer on the Calgary Hitmen as they take one the rest of the Western Hockey League.
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SE
- When: Sunday, October 23 at 4 pm vs Prince Albert
- What: British alt-rockers The 1975 took the world by storm three years ago as openers for big-time acts like Muse and the Rolling Stones. The exposure won them a devoted legion of fans and their second LP I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It debuted at Number One on Billboard’s Album chart last February.
- When: Sunday, October 23 at 7:30 pm
- Where: Grey Eagle Resort & Casino – 3777 Grey Eagle Dr
- Tickets: Available online for $61.05. 18+
And if you’ll be Banff this weekend
Yoga Retreat at Mount Engadine Lodge
- What: Instructor Sarah Harvie will be leading people on their inner and outer journey at the Lodge for their Yoga Mountain Adventure Retreat. Stay for either 2 or 3-nights with Yoga (Asana & Nidra), Pranayama Meditation and self-guided hiking. Food is included in the price.
- Where: Mount Engadine Lodge
- When: October 20 – 23
- Cost: Single Occupancy starting at $935, Double Occupancy starting at $1375