Looking for something to do this week? Well you’re in luck!
Here are some of the top events to check out in Calgary between November 21 to 27.
- What: Built in 1988 for the Olympic Winter Games, Olympic Plaza has the only refridgerated outdoor ice surface in the city. You can rent skates down at the plaza if you don’t have a pair of your own.
- Where: Olympic Plaza – 228 8th Avenue SE
- When: Now open, weather dependent from 6am to 11pm
- Cost: Free
- What: The Unauthorized Harry Experience – is coming to Calgary’s Boyce Theatre. Two-time Olivier Award-nominated actors Daniel Clarkson and Jefferson Turner, take on the challenge of condensing all seven Harry Potter books (and a real-life game of Quidditch) into 70 hilarious minutes.
- Where: Boyce Theatre, Stampede Park – 1410 Olympic Way SE
- When: November 10 to 27 (various times, check website for details)
- Tickets: Available online
- What:James Vincent McMorrow is returning to Canada for a string of shows this month, after kicking off his North American tour on the East Coast. Known for his gorgeous vocals, McMorrow has recently released his new album We Move.
- When: Tuesday, November 22 at 7 pm
- Where: Jack Singer concert hall, Arts Commons – 205 8th Avenue SE
- Tickets: Available online from $32.25 – $42.25.
- What: Try something different at the local coffee shop. Get fresh pizzas, baked to-order with a rotating feature meat and veg options.
- Where: Marda Loop – 2043 33rd Ave SW
- When: Wednesday, November 23 from 6 to 9 pm
- Cost: Meat – $13.50, Veg – $12.75
- What:British folk rockers Daughter are heading to the MacEwan Ballroom to promote Not To Disappear, their second studio album. Fans can expect loads of new material in addition to classic tracks from the band’s four EPs.
- When: Wednesday, November 23 at 8 pm
- Where: MacEwan Ballroom – 2500 University Drive NW
- Tickets: Available online for $33.50. All ages
- What: With the cutest little tea cups to upcycle, learn to make your own tea cup candle. It’s easy, super cute and perfect as a gift, or a holiday table decoration. The workshop includes instruction, supplies and materilas, tea from TotaliTea and a sampling of cupcakes from Delissitude.
- Where: Calgary Farmers Market – 510 77th Avenue SE
- When: Thursday, November 24 from 9 to 11am
- Cost: $45.00
- What: The holiday’s are a season based on community and giving in order to spread the holiday cheer. This year the Core is hosting “Find Christmas Downtown,” an event that involves a group effort to decorate 100 Christmas Trees that will end up being delivered to local families who wouldn’t otherwise have a tree in their home – talk about the gift that keeps on giving! They urge teams to make the experience memorable by dressing in their best ugly Christmas sweaters, as there will be a photo booth at the event, along with VIP opportunities, entertainment, and exclusive offers. What a great way to kick off the holiday season!
- Where: The Core Dome Tower 333 – 7th Avenue SW Suite 900
- When: Thursday, November 24
- Cost: See website for details
Go skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing
Getting snow early this year means that our mountainous backyard is waiting for us with a fluffy layer of snow, perfect for winter sports and activities. Take advantage and get some shredding in during this great pre-season, or take your snowshoes for an adventure around one of the many picturesque lakes that the Rockies have to offer – don’t forget to bring hot chocolate and your camera!
- What: If you haven’t had a chance to view the brand new National Music Centre (NMC) along 9th avenue then we suggest you do in the near future – we can almost guarantee you will not be disappointed. The NMC Air Workshop series is the perfect opportunity to view the space, while getting the chance to directly interact with the participants in their Artists in Residence program. This month, join Joshua Van Tassel and James Bunton as they share insider tips into their creative process and share a taste of their new music in this public workshop.
- Where: The National Music Centre – 850 4th Street SE
- When: Friday, November 25
- Cost: Free with admission to Studio Bell
Popular among chefs, home cooks, and local gastronomes, farmers’ markets have become an integral part of Calgary’s food landscape. Not only do these community events grant local farmers, growers, and bakers the opportunity to connect with urban folk but they also provide them with a space to show off their seasonal favourites. Here’s a quick list of a few.
- Calgary Farmers’ Market
- Crossroads Market
- Symons Valley Ranch
- The Market On Macleod
- Hillhurst Sunnyside Farmers’ Market
- Marda Loop Farmers’ Market
Check out a Holiday Market
Finding the perfect gift for that special someone can prove to be a challenge, however if you start early enough you can beat the rush and snag some great finds before everything is either picked over or out of stock. With Calgary’s economy still in the dumps it’s more important than ever to support our local business owners and entrepreneurs. Checkout these holiday markets on throughout November and find a unique gift that gives in more ways than one!
- Market Collective – November 25 to 27
- Banff Christmas Market – November 25 to 27
- Little Modern Market – Saturday, November 26
- What: Discover a magical world of scents, colours and light and feel the energy associated with the anticipation of Christmas. Enjoy 250 plus vendors spreading Christmas Spirit in the indoor comfort of the Spruce Meadows Riding Hall, Equi-Plex,Gallery on the Green, Reindeer Alley and Candy Cane Lane.
- Where: Spruce Meadows – 18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW
- When: November 18-20, November 25-27 and December 2-4, 2016
- Cost: $10
- What: Calling all beaded and un-bearded folk! Join in on the first ever Bearded Run, hosted by the East Village to raise awareness for mental health. Do a quick 5km run around the RiverWalk and the beautiful St. Patrick’s Island and get rewarded with a free beer and a neat swag bag that will help you live out the bearded lifestyle – all while supporting a great cause!
- Where: RiverWalk, East Village – 553 Riverfront Avenue SE
- When: Saturday, November 26
- Cost: $50.00
- What: Looking for a twist on the classic “dinner and drinks” date or you just want to do something fun and different with your friends? These food tours are the perfect solution! For $100 experience some of Calgary’s most cutting edge culinary delights from Fine Cheese, to Korean BBQ, to authentic Spanish cuisine.
- Where: 17th Avenue, tasting locations include – Cibo, Itza Bakeshop, Parc Brasserie, Ox & Angela and Anju Restaurant
- When: Runs until Saturday, November 26
- Cost: $100/ person
- What: A name synonymous with EDM, Morgan Page returns to Calgary for a show at Marquee! Known for his Vegas residency at the Wynn, Page has electrified crowds globally at massive music festivals to clubs. This is your chance to dance the night away on “The Longest Road” with the one and only, Morgan Page.
- When: Friday, November 25 at 9 pm
- Where: Marquee Beer Market and Stage – 4630 Macleod Trail S
- Tickets: Available online for $30. 18+
- What: If you have been to Italy or one of Calgary’s amazing Italian restaurants, you will agree that nothing compares to the taste of fresh pasta done right. With a professional chef instructor and a room full of students, learn how to make the perfect ravioli with various fillings that will bring a delicious piece of Italy into your home.
- Where: 1130 Kensington Road NW
- When: November 6, 12, 20 and 27
- Cost: $50.00
- What: Beginning November 12 Greater Goods, a boutique located in a beautiful heritage building in Bridgeland, will be hosting a series of 9 pop-ups shops each featuring a different local artist each week. From fresh coffee from the Calgary Heritage Roasting Company, to beautiful creative textiles created by ElleBee Tree to handcrafted wooden shelfs in the shape of the mountains nailed together by Needle and Pine, you can find an amazing selection of local handmade goods at each popup event. You can also grab a tea and a treat made by PrettySweet to munch on while you shop!
- Where: Greater Goods – #8, 606 Meredith Road NE
- When: November 12 to December 18
- Cost: Free