Whether you’ve been with your beau for years, are married, or are simply dating, it’s always fun to check out new spots around Calgary to spice things up and refuel your love for each other and this beautiful city.
With its historic charm, outdoor adventures, and delicious cuisine, Calgary is full of hidden, romantic gems that will be sure to get those sparks flying. From culinary delights to stunning views that highlight the beauty of our photogenic city, you’re always right around the corner from a special moment.
Here are some of our favourite places in and around the city to add to your dating bucket list and ignite some good old-fashioned romance!
- Giant panda exhibit at Calgary Zoo opens on May 7
- The entire world wants Canada’s gold-winning Olympic skaters to hook-up
- Rules around cannabis up for debate as City gathers public input
- What: There’s no doubt about it, forbidden love is the most romantic love! During the ’20s prohibition era, speakeasies were the ultimate hub for romance and secret affairs. Calgary has recently gained a few of these underground spots that will transport you back to this passionate era. Each embodies its own character and ambiance, and all make for a classy date night featuring a deliciously crafted cocktail… or three.
- Betty Lous Library – The Devenish Building, 908 17th Avenue SW
- Shelter – 1210 1st Street SW
- The Wednesday Room – 118 8th Avenue SW
- Model Citizen – 308 17th Avenue SW
- Sub Rosa – Hidden underneath 200 8th Avenue SW
- Frenchie Wine Bar – 618 17th Avenue SW
- Cannibale – 813 1st Avenue NE
- See a full list here!
- What: A great way to spark conversation and learn something new about your partner is to head to one of the many art galleries that make up Calgary’s vibrant arts and culture scene. Grab a coffee, look at some art, experience how it makes you feel, and enjoy the moment! Plus, this is a great way to get out of the house while still staying warm and cozy at the same time.
- What: Find the best seat in the city at one of Calgary’s most notable landmarks. At 155 metres, enjoy an exclusive 360 degree birds-eye view of downtown Calgary, the foothills, and the snowy peaks of the Rockies, all while enjoying a gourmet dining experience at Sky 360. Don’t forget to head to the observation deck after your dinner to check out a majestic view of the city streets, while also learning about Calgary’s history, landmarks, and future plans. This is also the perfect opportunity to grab his/her/their hand as you take that brave step onto the glass floor.
- Where: 101 – 9th Avenue SW
- September to May 9 am to 9 pm
- June to August 9 am to 10 pm
- What: Combine a culinary wonderland, a charming historic space, and dazzling views of the Bow River, and you’ve got the iconic Simmons building that adorns the riverwalk in the East Village. Originally a mattress factory, this space has been turned into a gastronomic hotspot, as it is home to Phil and Sebastian, Sidewalk Citizen, and Charbar. Whether you’re on a coffee date, a lunch date, or stopping by for a quick snack as you make your way along the river, this building offers a plethora of romantic options for you and your special someone.
- Where: 430 8th Avenue SE
- What: Sure a romantic homemade dinner is nice, but sometimes it’s fun to take it up a notch! Make the evening memorable as you enjoy a candle lit dinner set to the backdrop of a rustic dining room overlooking the river. There is no better way to set a romantic tone than with an evening meal or weekend brunch!
- Where: 25 Prince’s Island Park
- What: Built in 1819, this bougie mansion was home to Senator James Alexander Lougheed, Lady Isabella Hardisty Lougheed, and their family. Back in its time it was the hub for the latest social gatherings and romantic flings, and received many renowned international visitors. This historic home adorns the Calgary Beltline and still has a romantic charm that floats through the hallways. Take a stroll together through the home, explore the gardens, check out their historical collections, and dine like they did 100 years ago.
- Where: 707 13th Avenue SW
- What: A favourite for lovebirds! Bring a hot beverage and a camera to enjoy a beautiful view of Calgary from all angles. This is the perfect backdrop for one of those late night conversations that will privy you to a little piece of your partner that you never before knew.
- Nose Hill – 5620 14th Street NW
- Scotsman’s Hill – along 6th Street and Salisbury Street SE
- Crescent Heights Lookout – 240 Crescent Road NW
What: Kensington is a unique neighbourhood on the outskirts of Calgary’s downtown core that offers a unique setting for many potential adventures. Home to some of the city’s very best restaurants, coffee shops, boutiques, and more, over 250 local businesses adorn the streets and are just waiting to be discovered. From dinner and a movie at the Plaza Theatre, to a staycation at a boutique hotel, to a board game date, you’re options are unlimited when it comes to fun romantic date ideas in Kensington.
- What: Grab your binoculars and set out for an afternoon in the wild! Home to more than 270 species of bird The Inglewood Bird Sanctuary also houses everything from unique mammals, amphibians, and fish. If you’re both wildlife lovers, then this will surely be an adventure you will both cherish, as it’s a unique experience that will switch it up from your traditional dinner and drinks routine. Don’t forget to say hello to the Hairy Woodpecker!
- Where: 2425 9th Avenue SE
What: Pack some hot chocolate and a lunch and head out on a mini road trip to this quaint little town. Enjoy wandering hand-in-hand as you explore all the rustic little shops, cafes, and local restaurants. If you’re a couple who likes the thrill of a good adventure, there are a bunch of opportunities to explore the many trails surrounding the town – whether it be in a pair of snowshoes, hiking boots, or on mountain bikes.
- What: Spend a day outside the city at this rustic farm. No matter the season, this spot offers a variety of ways for you and your partner to roll up your sleeves and have some good ol’ country fun. Start the day off with a hearty brunch before checking out their many workshops, or spend some time at their U-Pick in the summer, where you can bring home some delicious Saskatoon berries. If you’d rather not do the cooking, check out the many homemade goodies available in their bakery and general store. We hear the Saskatoon berry pie is to-die-for!
- Where: 80181 338 Avenue E, De Winton, AB
- What: Music is the language of romance, so why not go where you can hear it all! Walk the halls of this centre, learn about the greats in Canadian music history, and peruse their collection of musical instruments that spans back over 450 years – you may even catch the odd performance or two! If you head down on a Sunday, take advantage of their Backstage pass tours and catch a glimpse of the artists in their recording studios where the magic of your favourite love songs take place.
- Where: 850 4th Street SE
Browse a bookstore
- What: Spending hours in a bookstore might seem painful to some, but for others it’s a way to escape the frigid winter weather while still spending some time outside the house. Allowing yourself to get lost in an aisle of books is an amazing way to kill a few hours, and it’s also a great way to get to know someone, as book preference can tell you a lot about a person’s personality!
- Fair’s Fair (For Book Lovers) Inc. – 907 9th Avenue SE
- Shelf Life Books – 1302 4th Street SW
- Indigospirit – 317 7th Avenue SW