Those hoping to help out during the COVID-19 pandemic will find themselves giving even more, thanks to the Alberta government.
The Province of Alberta announced in an April 12 release that they would be matching charitable donations made during this time of crisis.
Donations made to Alberta-based charities and non-profit organizations will be matched, dollar-for-dollar, up to $2 million, the release states.
- See also:
“Alberta’s charities and non-profits and the gift of those who donate is an integral part of what makes us Albertan,” said Minister of Culture, Multiculturalism, and Status of Women, Leela Sharon Aheer, in the release.
“These incredible organizations are struggling to fill gaps created by the increased and changing demand for services created by the COVID-19 pandemic. By matching donations, we will amplify the generosity of Albertans and boost the capacity of community organizations working tirelessly to make sure vulnerable Albertans are cared for during the pandemic.”
Any administration fees associated with campaign donations will be waived as part of the fundraising effort.
“Albertans have always been very generous in times of crisis. Our province has been hit hard by the pandemic, and we are once again calling on Albertans to donate what their finances allow,” said Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Community and Social Services, Jeremy Nixon, in the release.
“Every donation will help in some way so charities can continue to feed the hungry, care for seniors, support children, and battle homelessness amid COVID-19.”
The release also included a list of organizations in Alberta that have established campaigns designed to bring relief to those facing difficulties as a result of coronavirus, including:
- United Way of the Capital Region – Local Love in a Global Crisis Campaign
- United Way Calgary and Area – COVID-19 Community Response Fund
- Calgary Foundation – COVID-19 Pandemic Recovery Program
- Edmonton Community Foundation – COVID Rapid Response Fund
- Community Foundation of Southeastern Alberta – COVID Response for Southeast Alberta
- Community Foundation of Lethbridge and Southwestern Alberta – COVID Response and Recovery Grants Program
- Community Foundation of Northwestern Alberta – Better Together COVID-19 Response Fund/Community Kitchen and Food Bank Fund
The dollar-for-dollar match from the Province of Alberta will be available for donations made between April 15 and May 31.