FEATURED EVENTS IN YOUR CITY
Some people decide to celebrate Pi Day (that is, March 14, or 3/14) by eating some delicious pie, and while there’s nothing wrong with that, we’re of the mind that the celebrations should last all day… and there’s only so much pie you can fit in your belly.
Take this 2018 Pi Day to the next level by planning some seriously nerdy things to do after, before, or during that pie feast.
Here’s a few great spots around Calgary to let your inner geek shine!
- Made By Marcus just announced they are opening a second location
- These Alberta ski resorts join the Epic Pass alliance
- Thousands to stare at Calgary Tower and say 'wow' like Owen Wilson
Play some board games
- What: Grab the crew and gather round for a battle of wits at one of Calgary’s favourite board game cafes. They have over 600 board games to choose from, so you’ll definitely find something fun.
- Hours: 6 am to 11 pm
- Where: 1140 Kensington Rd NW #200, Calgary,
- Cost: $2.50 per hour per person
- What: Unfortunately Pips will be closing down, but not until March 25! Spend this Pi Day saying farewell to one of Calgary’s first board game cafes, because you won’t get the chance to next year!
- Hours: 11 am to 10 pm
- Where: 2015 33 Ave SW, Calgary
- Cost: $5 per person per visit
- What: One of Calgary’s more stylish cafes, Boxcar offers over 350 board games for visitors to choose from.
- Hours: 11 am to 11 pm
- Where: 100, 1215 1 St SW, Calgary
- Cost: $5 all day Monday through Thursday
Check out the arcade
- What: Try your hand at some games at Calgary’s biggest arcade, including ping pong, pool, air hockey, and an augmented reality climbing wall.
- Hours: Open at 11 am, closed at midnight on Sunday through Thursday, 1 am on Friday and Saturday. Adults only after 10 pm
- Where: Deerfoot City – 1108, 901 64th Avenue NE
- What: If you’re looking for something a little more old-school, try checking out the newly opened Pin-Bar. A beautiful mixture of arcade, sandwich shop, and bar, this place is seriously fun.
- Hours: 11 am to 1 am
- Where: 501 17th Avenue SW
Eat some delicious pies
Obviously a must-do on Pi Day, so check out our list of the 10 best places in Calgary to get baked goods to find the pie shop that is perfect for you!
And, if you’re into a pie of a slightly different variety…
- What: Blaze Pizza is offering an awesome discount on their pizzas for Pi Day, and with two locations in Calgary it is a no-brainer to check out.
- Where: Sunridge Mall: 2618 32nd Street NE; 4th Street: 2032 4th Street SW
- Hours: 11 am to 10 pm
Learn about science
- What: There’s no better way to celebrate science than by heading over to Telus Spark and checking out their latest exhibit. The current display features everything from life-size whale skeletons, to the evolution of these creatures, and our understanding of how they communicate.
- Hours: 10 am to 4 pm
- Where: Telus Spark – 220 St. George’s Drive NE
- Tickets: Online, $26