Alberta’s national parks make a stunning backdrop, so it’s only natural that the TV and movie industry often uses our province’s beauty for filming locations.
A new study released by NetCredit, an online financial services provider, breaks down the most popular filming areas in the province – and throughout the world.
“You know that feeling when you’re watching a movie and you see old-what’s-his-name appear in a supporting role?” asks NetCredit. “Ever had that feeling about a movie location?”
NetCredit has identified the landmarks and buildings that have gathered the most movie credits on IMDb, naming the ‘that guy’ locations throughout the world.
- See also:
To determine the top locations, NetCredit used IMDb Advanced Search and selected all of the movies that had data about filming locations from January 1, 1900, to December 12, 2020.
From there, they collected locations from all of those movies and compiled a long list of movie/location pairs.
“We then counted the number of appearances of each location and separated the locations by countries,” said NetCredit.
The most popular filming locations in Alberta include:
1. Banff National Park
2. Jasper National Park
3. Lake Louise
Here’s how Alberta’s best filming locations compared to the rest of Canada:
1. Niagara Falls, Ontario
2. Banff National Park, Alberta
3. The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
4. Riverview Hospital, Coquitlam, BC
5. The University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
6. Parkwood Estate, Oshawa, Ontario
7. Lower Bay Station, Toronto, Ontario
8. Jasper National Park, Alberta
9. Vancouver International Airport, Richmond, BC
10. Rockwood Conservation Area, Ontario
NetCredit said the data was collected in December 2020.