As Calgary’s arts and culture scene continues to rapidly grow, there is a mirrored increase in fun festivals and events that work to strengthen relationships within our wonderful little community here in Calgary.
This month eat your way through some of these delicious festivities while playing with new toys, watching puppets come to life and exchanging Netflix for date night at the theatre.
Check out these 9 fun and magical festivals this March!
- What: Foodie’s rejoice! YYC’s favourite foodie festival is back for another year! Between March 3 and 12, some of Calgary’s best restaurants will be offering up three and five-course fix price menus for every meal of the day. Restaurants are sorted by price point, so you can be sure to expect more than a few options no matter what your budget may be. At the same time, there will also be various one-time only, signature events happening around the city, such as Canada’s tribute Dinner at The Guild, The Winemaker’s Dinner at the Deane House, the Reunion Dinner at Catch and more!
- Where: Various locations around Calgary. See participating restaurants here.
When: March 3 to 12
- Cost: Varies depending on the location and menu. See website for more details!
- What: 3.14159265359 plus some fruit and multiplied with a buttery crust, calculates out to equal one freshly baked pie right? Regardless if the math adds up or not, Pi day is still the perfect excuse to bake and consume your favourite type of pie! Looking to make one on your own, but you don’t know where to start? Check out this Pie Making Course, offered by the Calgary Farmers Market, and learn how to create your own six-inch apple pie from scratch. Now, this is some math that we can get behind!
- Where: Calgary Farmers Market – 510 77 Avenue SE
- When: March 11
- Cost: $20
- What: This expo will be a gold mine if you are the type of person who loves collecting comics, records, toys and more. You never know what sort of vintage gem you may stumble upon!
- Where: Red & White Club, McMahon Stadium – 1833 Crowchild Trail NW
- When: March 12
- Cost: 12 and under FREE, 12 and up $5
- What: Join the Calgary Scope Society, a non-for-profit who works to support individuals with disabilities across their lifespan, at their annual Picture This…. Film Festival. This is both a competitive and exhibition style festival that features films that are about disability and/ or films that were produced, directed and/or written by people with disabilities. Come see a great film that is within one of five genres, animation, documentary, drama, education or performance and help support an amazing cause at the same time!
- Where: Calgary Scope Society – 219 18 Street SE
- When: March 15 to 17
- Cost: One day pass $10, three-day pass $20
- What: Puppets are magical animated objects that have the ability to capture an audience in all it’s emotions, making them laugh until they cry. Enjoy this 2-week long festival full of various shows happening around the city, along with all ages events, fun workshops, and shows that narrate different stories and adventures, while bringing to light the life of a puppet.
- Where: Arts Commons – 205 8th Avenue SE
- When: March 16 to 19
- Cost: Free – $40 – depending on the show
- What: Prana – breath, a life-giving force! Join the Calgary Yogi community for the first ever 3-day Yoga Festival, held at the Chinese Cultural Centre. You will get the opportunity to experience classes and workshops on yoga, meditation, movement, nutrition and lifestyle, while shopping their marketplace and mingling with like-minded Yogis, learning from industry professionals and fostering connections within the community. Namaste!
- When: March 17 to 19
- Where: Chinese Cultural Centre – 197 1 Street SW
- Friday only: $90
- Saturday only: $150
- Sunday only: $125
- 3-day Pass: $275
- Weekend Pass (Saturday + Sunday): $215
- Entrance to the Marketplace is $5
- What: On behalf of the Calgary Society of Independent Filmmakers’, the $100 Film Festival is back for another year to celebrate their 25th Anniversary! To celebrate this special occasion, there will be more than 40 films screened, along with a special retrospective program that will showcase the festival’s history and other unique performances. You will also get the opportunity to hear Canadian Filmmaker, Philip Hoffman speak on Process Cinema, a creative alternative filmmaking that is improvisational and interactive.
- Where: Engineered Air theatre, Arts Commons – 234 9 Avenue SE
- When: March 22 to 25
- Cost: General Admission – $12
- What: A festival devoted to wine and food – we’re in! Spend an evening sampling a variety of wine, spirits and beer from all around the world while munching on tasty treats from some of Calgary’s best food trucks!
- Where: BMO Centre, Calgary Stampede – 20 Roundup Way SW
- When: March 25
- Cost: $66.30
- What: Come see what YYC’s next up-and-coming professional generation has been working on in their studies at the University of Calgary. Undergraduate and graduate students have worked hard to design, produce and rehearse a variety of shows that reflect unique interpretations of classic texts, along with dance, musical and theatrical performances!
- Where: Reeve Theatre, University of Calgary – 2500 University Drive NW
- When: March 28 to April 8
- Cost: Festival pass- $20, Day pass – $10