JUNO fever in Calgary can be felt around town, and Calgarians have lots of options to choose from when deciding what to do this week. Here’s a list of events happening around town that you might not have known about.
- What: Past and present JUNO winners and nominees chose works of art from Glenbow’s collection of Canadian Art to display and made a video to accompany the art stating why they chose that piece. Participating musicians are: 54-40, Alan Doyle, AM Static, Corb Lund, Jack Syperek (The Trews), Old Man Luedecke, Rufus Wainwright.
- Where: Glenbow – 130 9th Avenue SE
- When: Now until September 18
- Cost: Regular Admission
Join us on March 19 for the opening of JUNO Tour of Canadian Art. With Calgary celebrating the “Year of Music” and playing host to the 2016 edition of the JUNO awards, several present and past JUNO winners and nominees selected works of art from our collection, ranging from historically significant pieces by Charles M. Russell and Emily Carr to contemporary works by the likes of Evan Penny and Christopher Pratt. The participating musicians are: 54-40 (@5440ontour), Alan Doyle (@alanthomasdoyle ) Calgary’s AM Static (@staticpics ), Corb Lund (@corblund ), Jack Syperek (The Trews, @thetrews ) Old Man Luedecke (@oldmanluedecke ) and Rufus Wainwright (@rufuswainwright ) Image: Evan Penny L. Faux: White, 2002. Epoxy, pigment and hair, Collection of Glenbow. Selected by AM Static.
- What: A special musical treat during the lunchtime commute on the CTrain. Local buskers will take their acts onto Calgary CTrains showing off the local talent we have right here in our city.
- Where: On the Blue and Red lines from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- When: Now until Friday, April 1
- What: A special concert event showcasing the talents of several JUNO nominees. Performers include Buffy Sainte – Marie, Armond Duck Chief, Black Bear, Derek Miller, Don Amero, and Cris Derksen.
- Where: Grey Eagle Casino – 3777 Grey Eagle Drive
- When: Saturday, April 2 at 8 p.m.
- Cost: $29.50 and above
- What: This year, Canadian country superstar Paul Brandt will be hosting the event, which brings together some of the most talented Canadian singer-songwriters and hearing them share their songs and stories on stage.
- Where: Jack Singer Concert Hall, Arts Commons – 205 8th Avenue SE
- When: Sunday, April 3 from noon to 2 p.m.
- Cost: $27.10 to $52.39
- What: The Calgary JUNO Host Committee is hosting a public red carpet for JUNO Award ticket holders. Before heading into the show, walk the red carpet, get your photo taken with a giant JUNO, and be interviewed – the total star package!
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SE
- When: Sunday, April 3 from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.