Calgary babysitters beware.
The Calgary Police Service is warning the public that a man has been making indecent phone calls to babysitter services, targeting girls ages 11 to 16.
- See also:
The CPS release states that the phone calls started at the beginning of 2019, resulting in multiple complaints throughout the year. The man is calling from a blocked number and engaging the girls in “conversation that becomes progressively more inappropriate and graphic,” according to the release.
Police have also provided the following tips as a way to ensure safe phone call and internet practices:
- Do not include a photograph of a babysitter on any website.
- Do not answer any phone calls from blocked/private numbers.
- Do not include the babysitter’s phone number on websites; police recommend communicating via email initially.
- Make sure a parent or guardian is present and listening when the babysitter is communicating with the person looking to hire them.
- Never let a babysitter meet the individual hiring them alone.
Anyone who may have received a call similar to the ones described above is asked to contact the Calgary Police Service’s non-emergency number at 403-266-1234.