Canada’s Top 100 Employers has just released its 19th annual list.
And if you’re not already working at one of these companies, you’re probably going to want to start looking into them soon.
“We are seeing more time off for employees to work in the community, more matching funds for their fundraising efforts, more donations in return for employees’ volunteer hours – there’s more robustness in these programs,” says Richard Yerema, Managing Editor at Mediacorp Canada Inc., which manages the competition.
But community involvement wasn’t the only trend visible in this year’s list of Canada’s Top 100 Employers.
Anthony Meehan, Publisher at Mediacorp said, “the federal government in late 2017 extended maternity and parental leave to 18 months from one year. Already, two of this year’s winners – the City of Toronto and Vancity – have updated their policies to include a longer benefit top-up period for employees, following the federal change.”
Meehan says he expects to see more employers follow suit in coming years, as they did when such benefits were first introduced.
“As society changes, organizations with an ear to the ground are paying attention and supporting these changes internally,” said Meehan.
According to their press release, a record number of employers took part in the selection process and Mediacorp went through the recruitment histories of more than 95,000 Canadian employers.
From those results, Mediacorp invited 9,801 employers to submit detailed applications, including a comprehensive review of their operations and HR practices that compare them to others in their industry and region.
Employers were evaluated based on eight common pillars and then compared to similar organizations in their fields to figure out which company is doing the best. The eight pillars include:
- Physical Workplace
- Work Atmosphere & Social
- Health, Financial & Family Benefits
- Vacation & Time Off
- Employee Communications
- Performance Management
- Training & Skills Development
- Community Involvement
So who made this year’s golden list?
Canada’s Top 100 Employers 2019
- 3M Canada Company
- Aboriginal Peoples Television Network Inc. / APTN
- Accenture Inc.
- ACL Services Ltd.
- Adobe Systems Canada Inc.
- Agriculture Financial Services Corporation / AFSC
- Air Canada
- Alberta Health Services / AHS
- ArcelorMittal Dofasco G.P.
- Bank of Canada
- BASF Canada Inc.
- BC Public Service
- Bell Canada
- Best Buy Canada Ltd.
- Canada Revenue Agency / CRA
- Canadian Heritage
- Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Ltd.
- Canadian Tire Corporation Limited
- Cargill Limited
- CBCL Limited
- Ceridian HCM Inc.
- Children’s Aid Society of Toronto
- Cisco Systems Canada Co.
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia, The
- CWB National Leasing Inc.
- Desjardins Group / Mouvement des caisses Desjardins
- Diamond Schmitt Architects Inc.
- Digital Extremes Ltd.
- Emera Inc.
- Export Development Canada
- Fidelity Canada
- Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited
- Graham Group
- Hatch Ltd.
- Hospital for Sick Children, The
- House of Commons Administration
- Innovatia Inc.
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Intact Financial Corporation
- Irving Oil
- ISM Canada
- Ivanhoé Cambridge Inc.
- K+S Potash Canada GP
- Keurig Canada Inc.
- Keyera Corp.
- KPMG LLP
- L’Oréal Canada Inc.
- Labatt Brewing Company Limited
- Loblaw Companies Limited
- Mars Inc.
- Mattamy Homes Limited
- McCarthy Tétrault LLP
- Modern Niagara Group Inc.
- Mountain Equipment Co-op
- Médecins Sans Frontières / Doctors Without Borders (MSF) Canada
- National Energy Board
- Nature’s Path Foods, Inc.
- NAV CANADA
- Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
- OpenText Corporation
- PCL Construction
- Pembina Pipeline Corporation
- PepsiCo Canada
- Pfizer Canada Inc.
- Procter & Gamble Inc.
- R.F. Binnie & Associates Ltd.
- Rio Tinto
- Rogers Communications Inc.
- Royal Bank of Canada
- Samsung Electronics Canada Inc.
- SAP Canada Inc.
- Schneider Electric Canada Inc.
- Sekisui Diagnostics PEI Ltd.
- Shopify Inc.
- Simon Fraser University
- Stryker Canada Inc.
- Suncor Energy Inc.
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- TD Bank Group
- Teck Resources Limited
- Thomson Reuters Canada Limited
- Toronto, City of
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada Inc. / TMMC
- Ubisoft Canadian Studios
- University of New Brunswick / UNB
- University of Toronto
- University of Waterloo
- Université de Montréal
- Vancouver City Savings Credit Union
- Verafin Inc.
- Vidéotron Ltée
- West Fraser Timber Co. Ltd.
- World Vision Canada
- Xerox Canada Ltd.
- Government of Yukon