Maclean’s has released its annual list of Canada’s top undergraduate universities and New Brunswick’s Mount Allison University topped this year’s list.
Maclean’s ranked schools based on the following criteria:
- Student awards
- Student/faculty ratio
- Faculty awards
- Social sciences and humanities grants
- Medical/ science grants
- Total research dollars
- Operating budget
- Library expenses
- Library acquisitions
- Scholarships and bursaries
- Student services
“With a small campus and a student body that just tops 2,000, Mount Allison University prides itself on providing an intimate experience. That might be why it’s been ranked as the top undergraduate school in Canada a whopping 20 times,” wrote Maclean’s.
The magazine recognized Mount Allison for its small class sizes and the opportunities students are given to work closely with professors.
“Not every student is looking for a stadium-sized lecture hall, and the Sackville, NB, school caters to those who prefer to know the names of the people they walk by on campus,” said Maclean’s.
The magazine also noted that the school is close to beautiful hiking trails, allowing students to get outdoors and explore. The school also offers over 150 clubs and societies, encouraging students to pursue new opportunities that range from movie clubs to athletic teams.
UNBC, Trent, Acadia, and St. Francis Xavier rounded out the top five universities on the list.
Top 15 undergraduate universities in Canada, according to Maclean’s:
- Mount Allison – Sackville, NB
- UNBC – Prince George, BC
- Trent University –Peterborough, ON
- Acadia University– Wolfville, NS
- St. Francis Xavier University – Antigonish, NS
- Lethbridge University – Calgary, AB
- Saint Mary’s University – Halifax, NS
- Lakehead University – Thunderbay, ON
- UOIT –Oshawa, ON
- UPEI – Charlottetown, PEI
- Laurentian – Sudbury ON
- Bishop’s University– Sherbrooke, QC
- Moncton University – Moncton, NB
- St. Thomas University – Fredericton, NB
- University of Winnipeg – Winnipeg, MB
- Nipissing University – North Bay, ON
- Mount Saint Vincent University –Halifax, NS
- Brandon University – Brandon, MB
- Cape Breton University – Cape Breton, NB