The Shane Homes YMCA is now officially open to the public.
Built into the natural landscape of Rocky Ridge in northwest Calgary, the building began its construction in 2014, and the three years since have created a work of architectural beauty.
- It's so cold in parts of Canada that people are skating on highways (VIDEO)
- An epic ball pit party with 1,000,000 balls is coming to Canada this summer
- Canadian mall one of world's biggest counterfeit goods sellers: report
The 284,000 sq ft building blends into its surroundings, and inside it houses an entire laundry list of resources and amenities, including a 25-metre, 8-lane competitive pool, a leisure pool, a water slide, three full gyms, an ice rink, a fitness centre, and a 3,000 sq ft library.
The Shane Homes YMCA is only the third of four new recreational facilities planned for Calgary, with a total price tag of $480 million.
The building’s grand opening is being held on February 1, but guests are welcome to check out the new facilities starting today, January 15.
Some people have already stopped by to take their own look, and have even shared some photos online for the rest of us.
Here’s a full list of amenities that can be found at the new Shane Homes YMCA:
- 25-metre, 8 lane competition pool
- Spectator viewing area
- Leisure pool with a wave system and waterslide
- Hot tubs and steam room
- One multi-purpose ice rink
- One leisure ice surface
- Three full gymnasiums with multi-purpose flooring
- Fitness centre with cardio and strength training equipment
- Fitness/aerobics studios
- 160-metre running/walking track
- Large and small rooms for use as studios, classrooms and meeting spaces
- 3,000 sq. ft. library with access to print and digital materials, hold pick up, public seating and study space
- Art making, studio and gallery space
- 250-seat theatre
- Food services
- Physiotherapy/medical clinic
- Outdoor basketball court
- Pathways and nature trails/interpretative
- Outdoor play structures
- Skateboard park (completion in summer 2018)
The new YMCA is located at 11300 Rocky Ridge Road NW, Calgary.