According to a recently released study from the Retail Council of Canada, CF Chinook Centre comes out on top as Calgary’s most profitable mall.
It’s kind of a given, being the largest mall in the city – at a total 1.2 million square feet – but it’s also worth mention that Chinook Centre falls sixth in all of Canada for profitability.
- Chinook Centre permanently removes carousel as it redevelops the food court
- These are the most profitable malls in Canada
- These are the 10 largest malls in Canada
The stats are weighed by finding the total sales per sq. ft. of each mall.
Chinook Centre comes in at $1,075 per sq. ft., so a little multiplying will find you the total number of what was spent at Chinook Centre this past year: A whopping $1,303,665,400.
This is a significant step above it’s closest competitor in the area, CF Market Mall, which has a sales productivity of $887 per sq. ft.
Looking at Canada as a whole, however, is a different story entirely.
Yorkdale Shopping Centre, the number one most profitable mall in the country, sees an astounding $1,653 in sales per sq. ft., 150% more than Calgary’s most profitable mall.
And if you’re wondering where West Edmonton Mall falls into all of this, you may be surprised to find that Canada’s biggest mall isn’t even in the top ten for most profitable, given that factoring in square footage will work against a mall with a rollercoaster, water park, and skating rink.
And to think that we can’t even go on the carousel at Chinook Centre anymore.
Top 10 malls in Canada with highest sales per sq. ft.:
- Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Toronto
- Oakridge Shopping Centre, Vancouver
- CF Pacific Centre, Vancouver
- CF Toronto Eaton Centre, Toronto
- Southgate Centre, Edmonton
- CF Chinook Centre, Calgary
- Square One Shopping Centre, Mississauga
- Metropolis at Metrotown, Burnaby
- CF Rideau Centre, Ottawa
- CF Sherway Gardens, Toronto