As Calgarians, we are familiar with having two seasons: winter and construction. With May long weekend upon us, we are unfortunately embarking into the later.
The City of Calgary issued a list of long weekend construction and road closures on their blog. If you’re staying in the city or leaving, here are the one’s you’ll need to know about.
In the City’s Northeast
- On Saturday, May 21 the ramps from southbound 36 Street N.E. and Sunridge Way N.E. to westbound 16 Avenue N.E. will be closed for four hours starting at 10 p.m. for road construction.
- On Saturday, May 21 to Sunday, May 21 the ramps from eastbound 16 Avenue N.E. to northbound and southbound 36 Street N.E. will be closed from 10 p.m. on Saturday to 8 a.m. on Sunday for road construction.
- On Saturday, May 21 from 2 to 7 p.m. and Sunday, May 22 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m northbound Edmonton Trail N.E. is closed from 4 Avenue N.E. to 8 Avenue N.E. and a two-way setup is in place in the south lane.
In the City’s Northwest
- On Friday, May 20 from 8 p.m. to Monday, May 23 at 5 a.m., 13 Avenue N.W. will be closed at Centre Street N. During this closure, the southbound lanes of Centre Street N will be closed at 13 Avenue N.W. and a two-way setup will be in place in the northbound lanes.
- On Saturday, May 21 from 6 a.m to Sunday, May 22 at 8 p.m., 5 Avenue N.W. will be closed between Crowchild Trail N.W. and 23 Street N.W.
In the City’s Southeast
- On Saturday, May 21 from 6 a.m. to Monday, May 23 at 6 p.m., 84 Street S.E. will be closed at 50 Avenue S.E.
- On Saturday, May 21 from 7 a.m. to Tuesday, May 24 at 5 a.m., 3 Street S.E. will be closed between 6 Avenue and 9 Avenue S.E.
- On Friday, May 20 at 7 p.m. to Tuesday, May 24 at 5 a.m., 6 Avenue S.E. will be closed between 4 and 5 Streets S.E. During this closure the right lane and adjacent sidewalk of northbound 4 Street S.E. will be closed at 6 Avenue S.E.
- On Saturday, May 21 from 7 a.m. to Sunday, May 22 at 6 p.m. the right lane of eastbound 26 Avenue S.E. will be closed east of 11 Street S.E.
In the City’s Southwest
- On Friday, May 20 from 9 p.m. to Sunday, May 22 at 8 p.m. eastbound 10 Avenue S.W. will be closed with a two-way setup in the westbound lanes between 7 Street and 8 Street S.W. This closure accommodates Water Services work.
- On Saturday, May 21 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., 10 Avenue S.W. will be closed between 5 Street S.W. and 6 Street S.W.
- On Saturday, May 21 from 7 a.m. to Monday, May 23 at 7 p.m., northbound 11 Street S.W. will be closed and the southbound lanes reduced to a single lane between 8 Avenue and 9 Avenue S.W. During this closure, the two left lanes of 9 Avenue S.W. will be closed at 11 Street S.W.
There are still large ongoing infrastructure projects to be aware as well.
Trans Canada Highway / Bowfort Road N.W. Interchange
- Reconstruction of 83 Street is underway and there is no longer a connection to Bowfort Road until this phase is completed.
- There is a temporary closure of pedestrian access from Greenwood Village to Bowfort Road and the Trans Canada Highway
- Access to Bowfort Road from the TCH will continue during construction, and motorists can enter Canada Olympic Park through a temporary intersection, located 500 metres west of the original intersection.
- Speed is reduced to 50 kms/hour on the temporary Trans Canada Highway detour near Bowfort Road N.W.
Crowchild Trail/Flanders Avenue Interchange
- The Flanders Avenue Bridge has been demolished, and Flanders Avenue is closed from Richard Road S.W. east to Amiens Road S.W.
- Access across Crowchild Trail and to northbound Crowchild Trail is available at 50 Avenue/Mount Royal Gate SW or 33 Avenue S.W. Crowchild Trail will remain open during construction.
Ivor Strong Bridge Rehabilitation on Deerfoot Trail S.E
- Speed will be reduced to 50 km/h
- Two lanes will remain open in each direction
- Fines for speeding are doubled in construction zones.