One day more!
Spend this Christmas Eve doing something fun! Or, if you’re anything like us, getting literally all of your Christmas shopping done last minute… Every. Damn. Year.
- Calgary Transit is free on Christmas Day this year
- You have 24 hours to clear your sidewalk after a snowfall before you're fined
- New rules on stat pay come into effect for Alberta on January 1
Hit the Slopes
- What: Take advantage of the fresh POW and get some great ski days in this upcoming season. Each hill also has a variety of Christmas themed activities happening throughout the holiday season, be sure to check the websites before heading up so you don’t miss the festivities.
- Check the websites for Sunshine, Mount Norquay Naskiska Marmot Basin and Lake Louiseto check hours of operation, hill conditions, snow reports and to see which trails are open!
- What: The Zoolights at the Calgary Zoo never fail to amaze. Each year, this unforgettable winter tradition of fun activities and stunning lights warms the hearts of many. See the Calgary Zoo light up for seven weeks straight and help celebrate the 20th anniversary of everyone’s favourite holiday experience.
- When: Friday, November 24 to January 6
- Time: 6 to 9 pm
- Where: The Calgary Zoo – 210 ST. Georges Drive NE, Calgary
- Tickets: General (16+) $14.95, Child (3-15) – $11.95
- What: Add some glamour to the holiday season by getting all spiffed up and heading to this magical recreation of “The Nutcracker.” For many, Clara and her Nutcracker bring back a warm childhood nostalgia as they brave the evil army of mice and dance with the Sugar Plum Fairy. Set to the motion of Tchaikovsky’s timeless music in an authentic Russian setting, this classic will have the whole family following along in awe.
- When: December 15 to 17 and 21 to 24
- Where: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium – 1415 14th Avenue NW
- Tickets: Ticketmaster, $25 to $125
- What: No one said that a visit with Santa was strictly reserved for children. Bring the whole family and enjoy a few laughs while visiting this jolly ol’ man and making sure he knows what you want for Christmas. Plus, you’ll likely receive a memorable photo that can go up on your mantle as a permanent decoration!
- What: Bring a donation for the Calgary Food Bank and the Calgary Drop-In Centre as you experience the magic of this life-size gingerbread house at the Palliser Hotel. Yes, even the icing is real!
- When: Until January 6
- Where: Fairmont Palliser – 133 9th Avenue SW
- What: Skate amidst the beauty of downtown Calgary at everyone’s favourite outdoor rink.
- When: Monday, November 20 to mid-March
- Time: Weather dependent, from 10 am to 9 pm
- Where: Olympic Plaza – 228 8th Avenue SE
- Cost: Free!
- What: This two-kilometer drive through in Spruce Meadows is lit up so festively that it’s undeniably special for anybody to see. Also free, this Christmas lights event will leave you feeling as though Christmas day is just one sleep away.
- When: Saturday, December 9 to Sunday, January 7
- Time: 5 to 10 pm
- Where: Spruce Meadows – 18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW
- Admission: $10 per carload